|October 8, 2003|
No injuries reported in Fox dorm fire
The College was awaiting an official report on the cause of a fire that gutted the common room of a third-floor suite in Fox Hall on Wednesday, Oct. 8.
No injuries were reported.
Schenectady firemen and campus safety officers were called to the south wing of the dorm shortly after 5 p.m. Wednesday. Two of the four women who lived in the suite were present when the fire broke out, but they escaped unharmed.
All alarms and other fire safety devices appear to have worked properly, according to Bill Sickinger, director of campus safety.
Rooms adjacent to the suite received smoke and water damage, but there appeared to be a minimal smoke odor in other rooms and common areas, according to residence life officials.
On the night of the fire, Oct. 8, about a dozen students were displacd.
Fox Hall houses about 250 students.
The Dean of Students Office and the Residential Life Office are working closely with affected students on relocation, minimizing the interruption of their studies, and addressing any concerns they might have. A letter went out to all students on Thursday.