Union Coalition for Inclusiveness and Diversity (UCID)
Welcome to the Union Coalition for Inclusiveness and Diversity page. Historically the coalition emerged as a result of concerted efforts of faculty members who recognized a shared understanding of inclusiveness, equality and acceptance of differences are all essential for a productive and respectful learning environment.
We are committed to our students and community and strive to have more than myopic vision. We believe respectful learning environment and active dialogues across differences will promote learning beyond the classroom. We emphasize in creating an atmosphere that is conducive to nurture harmony and cultivate more global citizenship. Our hope is for our students (and future generations) to have a better and more harmonious world. As part of our mission we plan to focus on the following objectives:
- Actively participate in the annual New Faculty Orientation.
- Offer opportunities to assist with job searches for faculty hires.
- Explore ways to diversify the pool of candidates.
- Offer to meet with candidates during campus interviews to discuss issues related to diversity at Union.
- Create linkages to different academic areas which include the Committee on Teaching (COT) and our interdisciplinary studies.
- Create a program for regular discussions of issues of diversity on college campuses.
- Create a diverse and welcoming climate for the entire Union College Campus Community.
Membership is open to everyone at Union without any restriction. We encourage you to join us in our meetings and proactive initiatives. All comments and inquires are welcome. For more information, please contact David Hayes, Chair of UCID, at (518) 388-6233 or e-mail: email@example.com.