John I. Garver
B.A. 1984 Middlebury College; M.S. 1985, Ph.D. 1989 Geology, University of Washington
Primary interests are are focused on low-temperature thermochronology, flood hazards, watershed analysis, the sediment record of environmental change, and the systematics of zircon and fission track dating. The main research focus in the area of tectonics is on the tectonic evolution of orogenic belts in the Pacific Rim using thermochronology, structural and basin analysis. In the last few years this research has focused on the thermochronologic evidence of the exhumation of orogenic belts. Research in the Mohawk watershed is directed at understanding hydrology, sediment budget, climate change in the watershed. Part of this focus has been in the timing and occurrence of landslides and on the effect of ice jams on flooding.
- Geology 117: Natural Disasters
- Geology 120: Earth and Life Through Time
- Geology 201: Stratigraphy And Depositional Environments of New York
- Geology 205: Tectonics
- Geology 307: Structural Geology
- Montario, M.J., and Garver, J.I., 2009 The thermal evolution of the Grenville Terrane revealed through U-Pb and Fission-Track analysis of detrital Zircon from Cambro-Ordovician quartz arenites of the Potsdam and Galway Formations, vol. 117, no. 6, p. 595-614.
- Draper, S., Evans, J., Garver, J.I., and Kirschner, D. and Janecke, S.U. 2009, Arkosic rocks from the San Andreas Fault observatory at Depth (SAFOD) borehole, central California: implications for tectonics along the San Andreas Fault. Lithosphere 1; p. 206-226.
- Gombosi, D.J., Barbeau, D.L., Garver J.I., 2009. New thermochonometric constraints on the rapid Paleogene exhumation of the Cordillera Darwin complex related thrust sheets in the Fuegian Andes. Terra Nova (in press).
- Enkelmann, E., Zeitler, P.K., Pavlis, T.L., Garver, J.I., Ridgway, K.D. 2009. Intense Localized Rock Uplift and Erosion in the St. Elias Orogen of Alaska. Nature Geoscience 2, no. 5, 360-363.
- Perry, S.E., Garver, J.I., and Ridgeway, K., 2009, Transport of the Yakutat Terrane, southern Alaska, evidence from sediment petrology and detrital zircon fission-track and U/Pb double dating. Journal of Geology. V. 117, n. 3. p. 156-173.
- Garver, J.I., 2008, Fission-track dating. In Encyclopedia of Paleoclimatology and Ancient Environments, V. Gornitz, (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Earth Science Series, Kluwer Academic Press, p. 247-249.
- Garver, J.I., Reiners, P.R., Walker, L.J., Ramage, J.M., Perry, S.E., 2005, Implications for timing of Andean uplift based on thermal resetting of radiation-damaged zircon in the Cordillera Huayhuash, northern Perú, Journal of Geology, v. 113, n. 2, p. 117-138.
- Garver, J.I., and Cockburn, J.M.H. 2009. A historical perspective of Ice Jams on the lower Mohawk River. In: Cockburn, J.M.H. and Garver, J.I., Proceedings from the 2009 Mohawk Watershed Symposium, Union College, Schenectady NY, p. 25-29.
- Bucci, A., and Garver, J.I., 2009, The temporal pace of landslide movement determined from growth asymmetry in Tsuga canadensis, Bowman Creek, Mohawk River watershed, NY. In: Cockburn, J.M.H. and Garver, J.I., Proceedings from the 2009 Mohawk Watershed Symposium, Union College, Schenectady NY, p. 8-11.
- Cockburn, J.M.H., Garver, J.I., and Kern, A., 2009, Current trends and future possibilities: monitoring for the future and how watershed dynamics may be affected by global climate change. In: Cockburn, J.M.H. and Garver, J.I., Proceedings from the 2009 Mohawk Watershed Symposium, Union College, Schenectady NY, p. 14-18.