BS and MS 1997, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium; Ph.D. 2004, Science, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
My research interests revolves around tropical dendrochronology. Dendrochronology, or the study of tree rings, is a powerful tool to reconstruct past climate change, but is also extremely valuable when studying forest productivity, carbon sequestration and vegetation dynamics. In addition to classical dendrochronological techniques (ring width measurements) I also use the wood anatomy, stable isotopic composition and chemical composition of the wood to extract environmental information recorded in the trees.
- Geology 208: Paleontology, Palebiology and Paleoecology
- Geology 209: Paleoclimatology
- ENS 100: An Introduction to Environmental Studies
- ENS 460: Environmental Studies Senior Seminar
- Schmitz, N., Verheyden, A., Kairo, J.G., Beeckman, H. and Koedam, N., 2007. Successive cambia development in Avicennia marina (Forssk.) Vierh. is not climatically driven in the seasonal climate at Gazi Bay, Kenya. Dendrochronologia 25: 87-96.
- Schmitz, N., A. Verheyden, H. Beeckman and N. Koedam, 2006. Influence of a salinity gradient on the vessel characters of the mangrove species Rhizophora mucronata. Annals of Botany 98: 1321-1330.
- Verheyden, A., F. De Ridder, N. Schmitz, H. Beeckman and N. Koedam, 2005. High-resolution time series of vessel density in Kenyan mangrove trees reveal link with climate. New phytologist 167: 425-435.
- Verheyden, A., M. Roggeman, S. Bouillon, M. Elskens, H. Beeckman and N. Koedam, 2005. Comparison between 13C of -cellulose and bulk wood in the mangrove tree Rhizophora mucronata: implications for dendrochemistry. Chemical Geology, 219: 275-282.
- De Ridder, F., R. Pintelon, J. Schoukens and A. Verheyden, 2005. Reduction of the Gibbs Phenomenon Applied on Nonharmonic Time Base Distortions. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 54 (3):1118-1125.
- Verheyden, A., G. Helle, G.H. Schleser, F. Dehairs, H. Beeckman and N. Koedam, 2004. Annual cyclicity in high-resolution stable carbon and oxygen isotope ratios in the wood of the mangrove tree Rhizophora mucronata. Plant, Cell and Environment 27: 1525-1536.
- Verheyden, A., J.G. Kairo, H. Beeckman and N. Koedam, 2004. Growth rings, growth ring formation and age determination in the mangrove Rhizophora mucronata Lam. Annals of Botany 94: 59-66.