History Department Faculty
The History Department believes that excellent teaching relies on active participation in one’s field, including sharing research with other scholars. The history department excels in both teaching and in scholarship. Professors have been honored for their teaching and for their mentorship of students. Four members of the department have been awarded endowed chairs, the highest honor the College bestows on its faculty.
All members of the department have published widely in their fields, primarily in books, but as well in major journals, and edited collections. Many department members have more than one book. Historians at Union are extremely active in the profession, presenting papers at the major conferences and professional meetings, serving on book and article prize committees, as officers in the professional associations, editorial boards of journals, and as invited speakers to local, national and international groups. Several members of the department have received prestigious grants, including a Guggenheim Fellowship, National Endowment for the Humanities grants, Fulbright Lectureships and other prestigious teaching fellowships in Denmark, Germany, Japan and Norway, and research grants Europe, China, Latin America and in the United States.
Students who take history courses thus have instructors with national, and even international, reputations, who are also committed to effective teaching and close involvement with their students. The reputation of the faculty is of enormous benefit to history majors when they apply to graduate and professional schools.
The History Department is one of the largest on campus and offers classes on every part of the world and many topics including popular culture, women and gender, intellectual trends, issues of race and ethnicity, prehistory, and much more. The faculty members, their graduate schools, and areas of teaching and research are listed below.
- Jane Earley, Secretary
- Kenneth Aslakson, Assistant Professor
- Stephen M. Berk, Professor
- Denis Brennan, Lecturer
- John Cramsie, Associate Professor
- Angela Ellis, Visiting Assistant Professor of History
- Andrew Feffer, Professor
- Andrea Foroughi, Associate Professor
- Cheong Soon Gan, Visiting Instructor of History
- Melinda Lawson, Lecturer
- Joyce Madancy, Associate Professor
- Kathleen McIntyre, Visiting Instructor of History
- Teresa Meade, Professor
- Andrew Morris, Associate Professor
- Brian Peterson, Associate Professor
- Jesse Richmond, Visiting Assistant Professor of History
- Steven Sargent, Professor
- Mark Walker, Professor, Chair
- Robert V. Wells, Professor
- Erik Hansen, Emeritus
- Manfred Jonas, Emeritus
- Donald R. Thurston, Emeritus