You Majored in What?
A major in sociology can be a stepping stone to a wide variety of interesting and productive careers. Many famous people have begun their journey to success with a major in sociology -- click here to see a few of their names.
Careers of Union Sociology Majors
About a third of our majors go directly into graduate and/or professional schools. Among these, one group enters Ph.D. programs in Sociology; another enters Masters of Social Work (MSW) programs; another enters law school; a fourth group goes on to medical school; a final group enters Master's Programs in Health/Business and Urban Planning.
Another two-thirds of our graduates work in such sociology and social work-related jobs as human services, urban planning, probation and parole, and in domestic violence agencies. Other graduates have worked in advertising, marketing, developing, museum programs, and editorial worker. Many of the Sociology students who work immediately after graduation eventually return to graduate school.
Exploring Career Options in Sociology
The American Sociological Association maintains a rich collection of materials that can help you make decisions about your major, your program of courses and how you will use your degree after graduation. Click here to begin exploring this information.
Graduate Schools in Sociology and Related Fields
The Sociology Department office maintains files containing information of many schools offering graduate programs in Sociology and Social Services. They are available for inspection during normal working hours. Also be sure to check our department bulletin board for current happenings and offerings.
A sampling of placements of recent Sociology graduates includes:
- Albany Medical College
- Yale University School of Nursing, Nurse-Midwifery Program
- Yale School of Public Health (Masters in Public Health)
- University of Chicago, Dept. of Sociology, M.A. Program
- Georgetown University School of Law
- City University of New York, Ph.D. Program in Sociology
- Northwestern School of Management
- Union College Health Studies Program (M.B.A.)
- University of Connecticut School of Social Work
- Temple University School of Law (J.D.)
- Stanford University School of Law (J.D.)
- Boston University School of Law
- University of New Hampshire, Ph.D. Program in Sociology
- Physician Assistant Program, Hahnemann Medical Center
- George Washington School of Medicine
- Washington University, St. Louis, School of Law
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, School of Urban Planning
- University of Michigan, Ph.D. Program in Sociology
- Rutgers University, Ph.D. Program in Sociology
- University of Rhode Island, Masters in Marine Affairs