Scholarships and Grants


Union Scholarship is awarded to students who demonstrate need for financial assistance as measured through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS profile.  Because this is a need-based scholarship, students must apply for these funds on an annual basis.  Changes in income and/or household information (such as number of children enrolled as undergraduates) will impact the level of scholarship assistance students qualify for. 

Presidential Scholarship is a Union College merit-based award in recognition of outstanding academic and personal achievements.  Presidential Scholarships are automatically renewed for four years (12 terms) of full-time undergraduate study.  Awards range from $4,000 - $15,000 annually.  It is not necessary to complete a separate application to qualify for a merit scholarship.

Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) programs are elective programs for students who desire commissions in the armed forces.  Union students may enroll in ROTC programs of the Navy and Air Force at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy and of the Army at Siena College in Loudonville.  The objective of ROTC programs is to develop professional officers who have acquired strong leadership and management skills and who have gained professional knowledge needed for future growth. ROTC students may be eligible for scholarships and other benefits available under two- and three-year programs of the selective services. Students interested in ROTC should contact one or more of the program representatives:

Air Force ArmyNavy
First Lieutenant Cory Ostrowski
Air Force ROTC
Phone: (518) 276-6236
Michael A. Dengler
Enrollment Officer
Phone: (518) 783-2477
Fax: (518) 783-2576
Lieutenant Craig Famoso
Assistant Professor of Naval Science
Phone: (518) 276-8009
Fax: (518) 276-4788

Federal Pell Grants are awarded based on demonstrated federal need as determined by the FAFSA form. Awards range from $602 to $5,730. Full and part-time students are eligible for Pell Grants with a prorated amount used for part-time students. Students must file the FAFSA and submit supporting documentation as requested by the Financial Aid Office.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) are federal grants ranging from $100 to $900.  They are offered to students who are Pell Grant recipients and demonstrate the most financial need. Full and part-time students are eligible for SEOG. To apply, students must file the FAFSA and submit documentation as requested by the Financial aid Office.

Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP)/Academic Opportunity Program (AOP) 
To qualify for HEOP, a student must be a New York State resident and be economically and educationally disadvantaged. Union College has a similar program for non-New York residents, AOP. Need is met through a combination of state, federal, and institutional funds.

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is funded by New York State for residents who are enrolled as full-time students. Awards range from $500 to $5,165 and are based on a family's New York State net taxable income. To apply, students must have completed the FAFSA as well as the TAP application. TAP eligibility is limited to the equivalent of four years of full time study.

Other State Grant Programs such as Vermont and Rhode Island have transferable grant programs for their residents. The amounts vary and are usually based on need. Contact your state's higher education assistance office for information.

The Yellow Ribbon Program provides additional funding for veterans.