Student Employment

Union College offers two work study programs.  The federal work study program is a need-based federally subsidized work program.  The Union College Work Program, also need-based, is funded through Union for international students who do not qualify for federal funds.  Both programs are administered by the college and offered to students as part of their financial aid package. Students are assigned part time jobs on campus and can earn from $1500-$2000 during the academic year. In addition to the standard application procedures, a separate application for employment must be submitted to the financial aid office each year.

College work-study at Union is awarded to students based on need as determined by the FAFSA and PROFILE forms.  All students who are offered work-study are required to submit a work-study application to be assigned a job.  For returning students, the online application must be completed by April 15th along with the other required documents in order to be considered for work-study.  For incoming students, the deadline for submission of the application is June 30th.  

On the application students are able to list up to 3 work preferences.  Although it is not always possible we try to meet one of the 3 that the student has indicated.  For your convenience, we maintain a listing of departments that employ students through the work-study program.

Notification of assignments is sent via e-mail to students during the last week of August.  This e-mail will indicate the department to which the student has been assigned, the name of the supervisor who the student should report to and the number of hours the student is allowed to work per week.  Students who have been awarded $1500 in work-study can work 6 hours per week, students with $1800 can work 7 hours per week and students with $2000 can work 8 hours per week.  All work-study positions pay minimum wage which is currently $8.00 per hour.  The minimum wage rate of pay will increase to $8.75 beginning on January 1, 2015.

Any student who has not previously been employed at Union must complete both a W-4 and an I-9 form. The completed forms should be brought in person to the Human Resources Office with the appropriate documentation (see the I-9 form for details).

Work-study earnings are not directly applied to the student’s account.  Most students use work-study for personal expenses and/or to help with book expenses.  However, students are able to make payments to their account from work-study earnings although it is not an automatic process.

Paychecks are issued bi-weekly for hours worked the prior 2 weeks.  Students can have a paper check sent to their campus mailbox or can have the check directly deposited into their checking account which is the recommended method. To sign up for this, complete the Direct Deposit Request form and return it to the Payroll Office.