Building a Habit of Giving
Virtually no college or university in the U.S. today operates on tuition alone. The Annual Fund plays a critical role in augmenting the College's operating budget and advancing its educational mission. A model of sound fiscal management, Union's Annual Fund is also the oldest continuing fund of its kind in the nation.
The Annual Fund is an expression of community in which individuals illustrate the power of many. Every donor and every dollar make a difference to the College. Particularly helpful are unrestricted gifts to the Annual Fund, or those that allow the College to allocate them toward the areas of greatest need.
The Annual Fund is supported by alumni (particularly those in a reunion year), by parents, by friends of the College and by Union employees. Their gifts go toward financial aid, research, and enhancements to our historic campus, as indicated by the chart below. They also help attract the most talented students and faculty to Union, allowing the College to continue its long tradition of academic excellence.
|Educational Instruction & Support||38%|
|Student Services & Programs||19%|
|General Operations & Maintenance||9%|
Please know that every dollar received by the Annual Fund is put to the best possible use, addressing the myriad needs that help create a dynamic learning environment.
Here are just some of the ways your Annual Fund gift could help Union:
- $25 replaces 12 beakers for a chemistry lab
- $75 buys a recorder for anthropology research
- $100 pays for one library periodical for a term
- $150 sends a student to compete in a regional American Society of Mechanical Engineering event
- $225 supports one team of students in an engineering design course
- $500 purchases drawings and painting supplies for art students
- $750 covers costs for a student to travel within the United States for senior thesis research
- $2,000 buys one computer in a classroom or library
- $7,500 helps sponsor a Minerva Fellow on a post-graduate year abroad performing community service