Oklahoma City, OK - Posted on: Monday 11/23/15
The undergraduate admissions counselor is responsible for performing all significant recruiting and admissions functions necessary for the university to successfully accomplish its educational business and serve the admissions needs of the customers of the university. This role includes, but is not limited to evaluating, testing, and measuring the learning potential and academic achievement of prospect students, and making judgment as to whether the student and the university represent a good match. The admissions counselor is part of the undergraduate admissions team and reports to the assistant director of admissions.
- Demonstrate an attitude and behavior that reflects the values and mission of the department and University.
- Exercise Quality Control Initiatives: Evaluate credentials submitted by applicants, including review of admission essay and evaluating test scores and recommendations to determine whether or not a student exhibits potential for success at Oklahoma City University and will add to the quality of the academic environment.
- Discretionary Judgment Skills: Make admission or denial decisions based on a student's academic credentials, other relevant factors, and the decisions made by the graduate school in which they are applying. Such decisions will be made in light of furthering the academic standards and quality of the university, and predicting the future success of the student.
- Marketing Services: Create and implement an individual marketing plan to include knowledge of college and/or high school history, area alumni, ministers and friends of OCU, competitors and factors of influence that assist the university in successfully achieving its educational mission.
- Public Relations Services: Perform public relation services by representing Oklahoma City University at colleges, high schools, conferences, and other events as required. Serve as a guest speaker, discussing a variety of higher education topics including but not limited to the college search process.
- Serve the University as the primary point of contact, promoting and representing the interests of both Oklahoma City University and its customers by providing counsel for prospective students and other constituents regarding academic programs of study, program requirements and scholarship programs.
- Employ personalized communication techniques when communicating with prospective students, parents, and other constituents through written and electronic communication.
- Conduct investigation into complaints or disputes on behalf of Oklahoma City University management and/or prospective students, parents, and other constituents who may encounter problems during their experience with Oklahoma City University and determine the resolution of such issues. Significant matters may include, but are not limited to the following: financial aid issues, scholarship issues, academic program issues, admission credentials and documents, residence life, etc.
- Provide prospective student information sessions during campus visits. Conduct personal interviews and provide campus tours when needed.
- Participate in long range planning by serving as a part of university strategic planning bodies.
- Participate in short range departmental planning by offering recommendations for departmental functions and goals.
- Anticipate and investigate competitive products and services and make recommendations for distinguishing Oklahoma City University from the competitive marketplace.
- Participate in development of university publications, student handbooks, etc. outlining academic services and university policies.
- Participate in development and implementation of on- and off-campus recruitment programs.
- Make large and small group presentations to prospective students regarding OCU.
- Maintain professional office hours during the day, and when appropriate, evenings and weekends to maximize personal communication with students, parents, and counselors.
- Other duties as assigned.
A bachelor's degree in a related field is required. A masters degree in a related field is preferred.
This is an entry level position. Some experience in admissions, marketing, PR, or sales is preferred. A suitable combination of education and experience may be substituted for minimum requirements.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Excellent problem solving and time management skills.
- Excellent leadership and management skills.
- Clear, correct, and effective communication using the English language.
- Must possess a high level of knowledge and understanding of admissions and university policies.
- Ability to cooperate, work well, and get along with supervisors, coworkers, members of the university community, and the general public.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and reach.
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines.
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone.
- Work is primarily indoors, but requires the incumbent to be in an outdoor environment when traveling between campus buildings or off campus.
- Standard office hours are 8:00am to 5:00 pm.
- Attendance at evening and weekend events is required.
- Off-campus, state, and regional travel is required.
- Incumbent will be exposed to frequent noise caused by telephones and office machines.
Please visit https://okcu.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&jobid=615&source=ONLINE&JobOwner=992686&company_id=16211&version=2&byBusinessUnit=NULL&bycountry=0&bystate=0&byRegion=&bylocation=&keywords=&byCat=&proximityCountry=&postalCode=&radiusDistance=&isKilometers=&tosearch=yes&city
Please note: Please attach a cover letter and list of professional references during the profile attachments stage of the online application process.
OCU's salary compensation structure can be found at:http://www2.okcu.edu/hr/forms/paygrade.pdf