New York, NY - Posted on: Thursday 09/10/15
The Financial Information Services Agency (FISA) has a vacancy for a Business Analyst to support the Financial Management System (FMS). The primary responsibility of the position is to ensure that FMS software operates as necessary to manage the data processing and reporting requirements of the Department of Education (DOE). The candidate will actively manage an ongoing portfolio of work and will serve as the primary liaison with the Department of Education on all matters related to FMS.
Activities of the DOE Business Analyst role include:
• Investigate software issues reported by the Level 1 and 2 end user support or escalated to
FISA Business Teams by our Oversight Agencies. Follow through on reported issues may
include some or all of the following actions below:
° proposing and authoring refinements to policy and procedure documentation and
° escalating to the development team the need for a programmatic resolution,
° proposing end user (or oversight) workarounds to the usage issues (when appropriate),
° (for complex usage scenarios) providing education or guidance when the system is not
being used as designed / intended
° escalating to the Business team management the need for correction / enhancement to
° informing the Level 1 and 2 end user support teams of the resolution and communicating
to those teams any instructions that need to be relayed to the individual who reported the
• Analyze and document business requirements and non-functional requirements of proposed
software solutions (e.g., operational, security, timing, etc.). Typical solutions (to the Financial
system) come in the form of: new reports, enhancements to existing reports, data fixes,
mass data changes (as a substitute for large scale data entry), new batch / modified batch
processes, data configuration bundles, definition of new / modified online transactions and
• Author functional design documents that capture the details of the solution in all aspects
(e.g.,. workflow requirements, business validations to be performed on data entry forms,
formulas to be applied in calculations on inquiries and reports, presentation layer
requirements on inquiries and reports, definition of inputs / outputs and business logic of
new / modified batch processes, configuration profile, application data configuration changes
required to enact the business or processing change, etc.,). The documentation produced will
follow FISA's standard for functional designs.
• Work with technical teams to research problems and implement solutions
• During periods of peak testing (e.g., major releases) or as directed by the FISA Entity
Manager, the candidate will test software to ensure it meets specifications and identify any
defects. This task is done by using the online application, performing data analysis through
the use of a reporting tool, and, in certain scenarios, through the execution of batch scripts.
The candidate will also be expected to review and expand on business scenarios for the
System Test team to test program modifications made to functional processes and Business
• The candidate will have primary responsibility for testing, coordination and scheduling (i.e.,
management) of data fixes and mass data changes.
• Run simulations of business event processing and provide: detailed status reporting on
progress, detailed inventory of defects identified and in the scope of regression testing for the
event, very detailed reporting on transactional failures once the event has been
• Manage business event execution in production, which entails: assignment of tasks to
participating parties, collection of status of assigned tasks, execution of tasks assigned to the
candidate (e.g., reconciliation via data queries, plotting of numbers from executed reports
onto reconciliation worksheets, review of transaction processing success rates, escalation of
transaction rejections to individuals assigned for data correction or end users), dissemination
of post event processing results (in terms of document counts, dollar value, and qualitative
analysis of document processing results). Business events are generally executed during
times when the system is offline for batch processing or maintenance. The candidate is
expected to be able to provide evening or weekend support for business event execution.
• Attend scheduled meetings where RM's (change control tracking items) are reviewed with the
individuals from the development organization(s). The candidate will have an assigned
portfolio of RM's assigned and is expected to be prepared to speak to the business need in
production date, requirements of the fix requested of the development organization, status of
testing (if the candidate is performing user acceptance testing on behalf of the end users).
• Update assigned RM's in a timely and complete manner such that the development
organizations and release management staff are able to assess the assign, estimate and
schedule the ticket / work item effectively.
• Provide written status reports and timelines for the project management office when work
tracks have graduated to the level of a project and require centralized reporting. The
candidate may be expected to speak to the status of 'mini-projects' in management meetings
• Perform independent research and document findings on topics pertinent to the business of
the Financial Systems division – as requested by the FISA Entity Manager.
• Create DOE quality control reports and send to DOE staff. Follow up on DOE questions on
reported OC issues.
• Manage assigned system assurance report issues through to successful remediation (in the
same manner as described above for DOE related software issues)
The candidate will work under the direction of FISA Financial System DOE Entity Manager. With a wide degree of latitude for independent judgment, the Business Analyst is expected to perform the above activities for simple, medium and complex business problems.