New York - Posted on: Tuesday 03/17/15
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP is a leading international law firm engaged in the practice of law in major cities throughout the world. The principal areas of the firm’s practice include all aspects of corporate and transactional matters, tax and regulatory matters, and litigation. The firm’s clients include a diverse group of leading corporations and financial institutions based in the United States and abroad, as well as sovereign governments, government agencies and individuals. Cleary Gottlieb has offices in New York, Washington, D.C., Beijing, Brussels, Buenos Aires, Cologne, Frankfurt,
Hong Kong, London, Milan, Moscow, Paris, Rome, São Paulo, Abu Dhabi and Seoul and has more than 1,100 lawyers worldwide. The firm’s culture is one of tolerance, diversity and respect for all employees.
Because of the firm’s cutting-edge corporate practice, the corporate paralegals at Cleary Gottlieb are exposed to a wide variety of complex corporate transactions and work with some of the most knowledgeable attorneys in the country. As a result of the firm’s leading international practice – especially in Latin America – corporate paralegals will be exposed to the latest cross-border transactions. In addition to challenging work, the corporate paralegal experience at Cleary Gottlieb offers an excellent educational experience for those interested in pursuing law school.
The corporate paralegals are expected to be able to work independently and equally well as part of a team with a strong sense of loyalty towards co-workers, superiors, and staff. The corporate paralegals work under the direct supervision of the attorneys and are expected to provide assistance on a vast array of projects and tasks, which include, but are not limited to:
- Participation in due diligence investigations
- Preparation of basic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission and other governmental agencies
- Preparation for and attendance at closings of various transactions, including assisting the client and attorneys during the closing; and preparation of closing binders to be sent to the client and other involved parties
- Liaison between attorneys and various state agencies and services
- Preparation and filing of certificates of incorporation, by-laws, resolutions, and foreign qualifications of companies
- Translation of foreign language correspondence and documents (subject to the paralegal’s ability) and occasional interpretation for foreign clients attending closings
- Performing cross-reference checks
- Bachelor’s degree required (minimum GPA of 3.3)
- We actively seek Spanish and Portuguese speakers
- Must be willing to make a two-year commitment
- Flexibility to work outside regular business hours, including early mornings, evenings and weekends as needed
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously while working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to deliver results with a sense of urgency
- Must be collaborative with the ability to leverage resources and tools to accomplish objectives
- Excellent time management, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Professional and positive demeanor
If you are interested in applying for a Corporate Paralegal position, please send your cover letter, resume and unofficial transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate you are applying for a Corporate Paralegal position and any foreign language fluency on your resume or in your cover letter.