Schenectady, Rochester, Syracuse - Posted on: Friday 03/21/14
Under the direction of the Supervisor, Database Administration:
Designs, installs, monitors, maintains, and performance tunes production databases, ensuring high levels of data availability within established policies/procedures to ensure integrity and availability of databases and accompanying
software. Supports, monitors, maintains, and performance tunes production databases. Establishes long-term strategic goals for production databases. Develops, implements, and maintains change control and testing processes for
modifications to databases. Responds to and resolves database access/performance issues. Conducts research and makes recommendations on database products, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and
development efforts. Works with application development staff to develop database architectures, coding standards, and quality assurance policies/procedures. Ability to maintain confidentiality and adhere to regulatory compliance issues as
they exist and change from time to time. Performs other related duties as assigned.
- 5+ years experience with database administration, designing, building, installing, configuring and supporting Oracle database servers
- Experience in Sybase, ASE and MS SQL Server is a plus. Training in these DBMSs will be provided as needed/required.
- Hands-on experience in database tuning, troubleshooting and information systems documentation techniques.
- Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong technical documentation skills and ability to conduct research into database issues, standards and products.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Exhibits logical thinking abilities, problem solving, communication, interpersonal and math skills
- Ability to effectively prioritize and plan assignments and projects in a high-pressure environment
- Demonstrates strong customer service orientation
- Proven ability to build relationships with business and technical partners to improve customer service and continuously improve project delivery
- Excellent communication skills including experience training end-users
- Ability to work with customers and coworkers
- Ability to act as vendor technical liaison and make presentations to users and peers.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities, experience in managing technical staff and mentoring development.
- Highly self motivated and directed with keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Knowledge of health care and health care delivery systems
- Ability to prioritize and plan assignments in a high-pressure environment