New York, NY - Posted on: Thursday 07/16/15
About Success Academy
At Success Academy, we are redefining what’s possible in public education. Our schools rank in the top 1% in math and top 3% in English among all New York State schools, while serving children with an overall poverty rate of 77%. We also act as a catalyst and model for education reform nationwide so that all kids can have access to high-quality schools.
Success Academy Charter Schools are dedicated to academic excellence, character development, and extracurricular achievement with college graduation as an end goal. In all grades, pre-K through 12, our exploration-driven curriculum focuses on the whole child and includes chess, art, and other specialized subjects that bring excitement to the school day and foster a lifelong love of learning.
We also pride ourselves on developing a truly cohesive school community of parents, teachers, leaders, staff, and scholars. We require parents to be active participants in their child’s education and school-wide events, and hold the entire school community accountable to the same high level of expectations.
We believe all children can achieve at extremely high levels, and we believe this starts with the dedication of exceptional and diligent adults. We are building a movement to transform public education. It’s no easy feat, but we can promise it will be one of the most rewarding. Are you ready to join?
We are seeking an Elementary School Teacher who is results-oriented, relentless, and takes a "Beyond Z" approach in every aspect of their role. At Success Academy, you are not a "classroom" teacher, you are a school teacher, and are held accountable for the results and progress of our scholars as a whole, beyond your classroom.
What to expect
Curriculum & Instruction. With a curriculum that is discussion and inquiry-based, our teachers become expert facilitators who are able to deliver instruction based on the needs of their students while promoting a culture of learning. Our curriculum is aligned to Common Core Standards and is designed to engage and challenge scholars, and encourage critical-thinking and discussion. Our curriculum includes:
- Reading, Writing, and Math Workshop units (adapted from TERC investigations) with daily lesson plans.
- Shared texts, Guided Reading, and Read Aloud using our THINK Literacy framework.
- Project-based learning (PBL) which is a theme-based learning that is integrated into all Literacy components.
- Math Facts and Number Stories (research-based CGI approach) that involves problem-solving based on real-world story context.
Data-Driven Approach. To ensure that we provide the highest-level of support to our scholars, we are constantly studying and analyzing data in order to develop strategic action plans that drive student results. This involves:
- Building a Culture of Daily Mastery, which includes daily checks for comprehension to ensure student progress from day to day.
- Follow-up Analysis after Network-wide Assessments – F&P (Quarterly), ELA (Monthly), Number Stories/No Hesitation Math (Weekly), and Science (Quarterly).
- Targeted plans around small group, whole group and other academic and tutoring supports.
Professional Development. In conjunction with our data-driven approach, we hold ourselves to the highest standards in terms of collaboration and professional development. At Success Academy, we are "learners" and consider ourselves part of a culture of reflection, feedback, and commitment to excellence. Support includes:
- Weekly leadership-led professional development sessions, including grade-team planning meetings, training on classroom management and curriculum, sessions devoted to studying student work/data and using it to action plan, etc.
- Frequent school leadership observations followed by targeted feedback and recommendations on how to improve practice for the next day.
- Intense collaboration with fellow teachers around curriculum and sharing of best practices through modeling, video-sharing lessons, etc.
Resources & Technology. Our school model includes a wide array of support services and resources to create an environment where scholars can learn and thrive. This includes:
- Unparalleled in-classroom libraries stocked with thousands of high-interest titles.
- Educational technology including interactive smartboards in every classroom, and a cell-phone, laptop and video camera for every instructional team member.
- A School Operations team within each school to manage all non-instructional aspects of the school day allowing principals to focus on instruction and teacher development.
School Community. In every Success Academy school, you’ll find a community of parents, teachers, leaders, staff, and scholars. We hold everyone within the school community accountable to the same high level of expectations. Our staff places emphasis on:
- Parent Involvement. We have Parent Councils at every school and require all parents to be active participants in all Family Academic Events and other school-wide happenings.
- Whole Child Approach. We provide Field Studies for scholars, where they apply their instruction to real-life experiences.
- Education Reform Movement. Being a part of Success Academy, means being a part of the education reform movement, which is focused on promoting parent choice in support of our scholars.
Our ideal Elementary School Teacher will have:
- At least 2 years of full-time classroom experience.
- A demonstrated track record of propelling student academic growth and mastery.
- A Master's Degree and teaching certification in the content area are preferred (Bachelor’s Degree is required).
- The drive to ensure that joyful, rigorous instruction is delivered to every scholar, every day.
Demonstrated competencies in the following areas are a must:
- Behavior & Classroom Management. Ability to enforce 100% engagement in a classroom of scholars at all times and utilize our network-wide behavior management strategies to set and maintain clear expectations.
- Accountability and Data Driven. Proven record of achievement as evidenced by student work, learning, and data.
- Preparation. Ability to study Success Academy curriculum and Common Core Standards for grade level taught and do the intellectual work needed to deliver instruction at a high level. Every teacher receives at least 2 daily planning preparation periods.
- Self-Reflection. Ability to accept and implement feedback received on an ongoing basis for continuous improvement.
- Stamina. Ability to handle the intensity required to work an extended school day in a very high-performing school environment.
In addition, the following characteristics are required to be successful in this role:
- Dedication to Mission. A genuine interest in finding ways to improve public education and support our schools.
- Deadline and Detail Driven. Ability to think critically about the details of a task at hand and backwards plan in order to meet project timelines to drive real-time progress.
- Flexibility. An individual that is not deterred by a fast-paced environment. Ability to adjust tasks and schedule to changed priorities.
- Team Player. Willingness to work with others and respond constructively to feedback.
- Leadership. Works collaboratively with a co-teacher within our "Power of Two" model to communicate support in the coaching and development of our Assistant/Associate Teachers.
- Beyond Z Attitude. Eagerness to go above and beyond the requirements of the job to be innovative and support the organization. Constant desire to improve one’s practice.
Please upload a cover letter and resume outlining your skills and experience. Your cover letter should explain why you would be an excellent Elementary School Teacher at Success Academy.
Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Success Academy offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.