Brooklyn, NY - Posted on: Wednesday 10/29/14
Ascend Learning is a network of urban, college-preparatory charter schools in Brooklyn. Educators at Ascend are driven by our mission to equip every student with the knowledge, confidence, and character to succeed in college and beyond.
We are passionate about guiding our scholars to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a liberal arts curriculum that fosters curiosity and enables our scholars to adapt to new ideas and practices, while gaining a fundamental understanding of math and science.
• Develop and teach clear and engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned Ascend curriculum
• Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
• Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing the practices of Responsive Classroom
• Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
• Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual summer institute
• Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
Who we’re looking for
We’re excited about teachers who get fired up about learning; who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the content they’re about to teach. We’re passionate about teachers who truly listen to what students are saying; who create a space for students to think their own way through to answers, and praise their insights and curiosities along the way. We value a hunger for feedback and the desire to engage in an ongoing process of reflection and growth.
Above all, we look for educators who are passionate and committed to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap in Brooklyn.
• Two years of teaching experience in the content area to be taught, preferably in an urban school setting
• A record of producing strong student achievement gains
• The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
• Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree and certification preferred
• Passion and commitment to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap