Brooklyn, NY - Posted on: Tuesday 07/14/15
Why teach at Ascend Charter Schools?
Ascend is a network of urban, college-preparatory charter schools in Brooklyn. Educators at Ascend are driven by our mission to equip every student with the knowledge, confidence, and character to succeed in college and beyond.
We are passionate about guiding our scholars to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a liberal arts curriculum that fosters curiosity and enables our scholars to adapt to new ideas and practices, while gaining a fundamental understanding of math and science.
The Responsive Classroom at Ascend
Ascend is the first among urban charter school networks to adopt the Responsive Classroomteaching model in each of our schools. We foster a strong, safe, and warm school community that helps students develop social and emotional competencies through research-based practices such as morning meeting, interactive modeling, and logical consequences. See how we start our day.
Our School Buildings
We believe that our school buildings should reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls. All Ascend schools are housed in inviting, newly renovated buildings where every detail is chosen to communicate our aspirations for teaching and learning. See where we work.
Who we’re looking for
We’re excited about teachers who get fired up about learning; who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the content they’re about to teach. We’re passionate about teachers who truly listen to what students are saying; who create a space for students to think their own way through to answers, and praise their insights and curiosities along the way. We value a hunger for feedback and the desire to engage in an ongoing process of reflection and growth.
Above all, we look for educators who are passionate and committed to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap in Brooklyn.
The middle school science teacher will:
• Develop and teach clear and engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned Ascend curriculum
• Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
• Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing the practices of Responsive Classroom
• Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
• Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual summer institute
• Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
Staff and Reporting Relationships
The middle school science teacher reports to the school director. He or she also accepts direction from, and works closely with, the dean of instruction and dean of students.
Two years of teaching experience in the content area to be taught, preferably in an urban school setting
• A record of producing strong student achievement gains
• The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
• Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree and certification preferred
• Passion and commitment to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap
Ascend teacher salaries are above the Department of Education pay scale and commensurate with experience. Please visit www.ascendlearning.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.
Ascend Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information and to apply, please visit https://ascendlearning.secure.force.com/careers/ts2__JobDetails?jobId=a0xA000000An3wkIAB&tSource=