US, CT, Naugatuck - Posted on: Friday 05/16/14
Reporting to Systems Engineering Group (SEG) Director, this is a highly technical role, providing pre-sales and post-sales support of GDC Network Products. The Engineer will be required to develop and maintain expertise on the current company products as well as new features and new products. The ideal candidate will aid in the engineering and deployment of GDC Multiservice platform solutions at the Customer’s network installation sites. Typical Activities:
- Participate in the design and engineering of telecommunications systems and subsystems.
- Evaluate and apply appropriate technology based solutions for varied Customer needs and requirements - Provide equipment configuration and cost in support of the proposal process
- Develop and interpret design and engineering objectives.
- Provide technical support to Sales and Project Management
- Analyze design and architecture issues in customer networks
- Testing product features and functionality
- Provide informal workshops to transfer knowledge to other members of the Systems Engineering Group
- Applying extensive industry experience to optimize network performance and proactively identify potential enhancements or problems
- Evaluate technical specifications for interoperability
Responsibilities: This is a full-time position and may require extended work hours, during special projects. Technical support to the Customer may require the Engineer to:
- Troubleshoot equipment and network problems and to open and track Systems Engineering Customer Call Tickets.
- Raise equipment Return Material Authorizations (RMA’s) and to track these through to problem resolution
- Produce a written summary report of the status of Design projects, equipment and network problems on a regular basis
- Test patches and fixes to operating software and to ensure that they are implemented and functioning correctly in the pre-production test network.
- Travel to support testing and deployment of Software patches and updates, as required, to support existing customer install base.
- Travel to install and support customers with newly released Broadband products.
- Work with Development Engineering to acquire early expert knowledge.
- Feed back to Development Engineering any problems experienced with first applications of new products.
- Provide telephone and on-site support during field trials.
- Provide input to Product Development concerning feature enhancements for company’s Broadband products.
Minimum Qualifications: Preferred candidates for this position should have a Bachelors Degree in Engineering with certification on IP devices or equivalent experience. Candidates MUST be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Technical experience in the installation and operation of IP network elements. This includes hands-on operation of management tools and network analyzers.
- Strong Interpersonal communication skills.
- The ability to work independently and to function in a team environment.
- Strong customer interface and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and work calmly under pressure.
- Strong Knowledge in: IP Routing, MPLS, OSPF, IPv4 and IPv6
- Transport Technologies: TDM (Serial, PDH and SDH/SONET), Frame Relay, ATM and packet based (IP, VLAN, MPLS)
- Knowledge on current O.S.: Windows XP, 7, 8, 2008, 2012; Linux: Ubuntu, Fedora - WireShark and snmx tools knowledge
Preferred Qualifications: - Must be able to communicate effectively with the customer
- 3+ years experience in supporting large technical account activity revolving around network products.