Hamilton, New York - Posted on: Monday 04/07/14
Advises and counsels current students and recent alumni through the career development process, focusing particularly on those students/alumni interested in pursuing careers in start-ups, entrepreneurial ventures, emerging industries, and/or sustainable development.
Career Counseling and Advising
- Provide approximately 20-22 hours of individual, group, and electronic career counseling and advising for students and recent alumni weekly; documents all interactions in the Career Center Contact Management system. - Meet individually with students to answer questions and to review job search documents during walk-in hours. - Serve as industry liaison in career fields related to Entrepreneurship and Sustainability. - Assist students with making career decisions, writing job search correspondence and graduate school essays, and preparing for interviews. - Assist center in assessing and integrating new technology to support students' career development and successful job search.
- Develop and present programming to guide students in their career development and job search processes. Collaborate with other staff to ensure the success of the center's programming. - Interact with alumni and employer partners. - In collaboration with the employer relations and operations teams, cultivate and build opportunities for student on-ramping into start-ups, entrepreneurial ventures, and/or sustainable development. - Serve as liaison to academic departments and campus partners, including the Thought Into Action Entrepreneurship Institute and the Office of Sustainability.
- Serve on a variety of in-house and University committees. - Participate in on-going professional development activities and represent center at professional conferences. - Other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree with a two year graduate assistantship OR a Master's degree plus one year of student advising experience OR a Bachelor's degree plus 3 years of relevant field experience one of which includes direct student advising experience required.
- Demonstrated expertise in emerging industries and fields related to entrepreneurship and/or sustainability.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and problem solving skills.
- Must be a strong advocate for diversity with a proven ability to work with a diverse population.
- Demonstrated ability to create, develop and give presentations/workshops.
- Extremely well-organized and detail oriented, with excellent follow-through and execution skills.
- Ability to balance many tasks simultaneously and work well independently.
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends on occasion.
- The ability to communicate the value of a liberal arts education to students and outside constituents by demonstrating an understanding of the liberal arts.