Sexual Assault Support

If you have been assaulted...

We have a 24-hour support phone line 
to help with a sexual assault 
388-6600 ext. 1 
It connects you to the counseling center 
during the day, or the counselor on call after hours 
Using this line is CONFIDENTIAL

Use our reporting options brochure to get more information and learn more about options

The sexual misconduct chapter of the Student Handbook provides information on Union's policies

The 24-your support line is set up to provide you with any support you may want in response to an incident of sexual misconduct.  You can be assured that your situation will be regarded as confidential, as the phone line puts you in contact with someone in our counseling center.  You should also know that you do have other options as well, and not all of them will be able to promise confidentiality as the college will have been put on notice that an incident occurred.  In all cases we will try to respect your wishes as much as we are able to legally.

What Should I Do If I Have Been Assaulted?

If you have been sexually assaulted, or think you have been sexually assaulted, the first thing you may want to do is to call (518) 388-6600, Union's Sexual Assault Support Number. The staff there have been specially trained to provide compassionate, confidential support for victims of sexual assault. They will support you and can provide information on your options. They are not required to take down your name or to report the incident to the administration. If you choose to report an assault, please know that we will not tolerate any form of retaliation or harassment of you by the person, or friends of the person, who assaulted you.

What to Do Immediately

It is important to do the following if you have not done so already:

  • Call Union's Sexual Assault Support Number for support: (518) 388-6600
  • Preserve Evidence: Do not brush your teeth, eat, shower and/or smoke. If you do change, be sure to place clothes in a paper bag.
  • Write down any details of the attack. 
  • If you choose, go to the hospital and get a rape kit done to collect any evidence. Your advocate can accompany you for support.
  • If you think you have been drugged, tell someone so you can give a urine sample.

Medical Support

Even if you do not want to press charges, you are encouraged to seek medical attention. You may have been exposed to sexually transmitted infections, may have suffered internal injuries, or may be at risk of pregnancy.

Ellis Hospital, McClellan campus (600 McClellan Street Schenectady, NY 12304), offers the services of a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner, sometimes known as a SANE Nurse. This specially trained SANE Nurse has particular expertise in these matters. If you want more information on the process, call the Safe Space beeper to speak with a trained member of Safe Space (518) 349-6669. You are encouraged to seek the services of this specially trained Nurse.

You may wish to consider emergency contraception, sometimes known as "Plan B" which Ellis Hospital can provide up to 72 hours after the incident.

Ellis Hospital (1101 Nott Street, Schenectady, NY 12308) also provides emergency services and can provide emergency contraception, but they do not have a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner on duty.


Union understands that a student who has been the victim of sexual misconduct may wish to talk about the incident with the assurance that the discussion will be confidential. There are several support resources that students may utilize on a confidential basis. These include Counseling Services, the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life, and Health Services. Students are encouraged to consult these sources for confidential emotional support. Because these services are confidential, a discussion with any of these sources does not result in a complaint being filed with the College or result in action being taken by the College to respond to the incident.

A student who wants emotional support only should contact the confidential counseling resources listed above. A student wishing to have an incident investigated or adjudicated must make a complaint in accordance with the procedures described above. The College endeavors to respect and follow the wishes of an individual who brings forward a sexual misconduct concern. However, students should understand that Union may have ethical and legal obligations to investigate, attempt to resolve or adjudicate incidents of sexual misconduct that come to its attention. Therefore, depending on the circumstances, it may not be possible for a conversation with Campus Safety personnel or other administrators to be kept in confidence always or, said another way, for these individuals simply to listen without taking action.

Anonymous Reporting to Campus Safety

Campus Safety will accept anonymous reports of sexual assault; they have a form you can fill out to submit a report and have a procedure for reporting incidents directly to them.  Anonymous reporting can help us be more accurate in our own reporting of incidents, and can help us identify problems, but we will not be able to investigate the assault or to sanction the person who did the assault.

CAMPUS RESOURCES confidentiality level
Sexual Assault Resource Hotline STRICTLY confidential
(518) 388-6600 ext. 1
Counseling Center STRICTLY
(518) 388-6161 Wicker Wellness Center
Health Services STRICTLY
(518) 388-6120 Wicker Wellness Center    
Campus Safety (to file a formal complaint)      MOSTLY
(518) 388-6911
Title IX Coordinator MOSTLY
(518) 388-8327
Dean of Students MOSTLY
(518) 388-6116
Schenectady County Sexual Assault STRICTLY
Support Services (518) 346-2266
Ellis Hospital Emergency Room STRICTLY
(518) 243-4121
Schenectady Police Department According
(518) 382-5200 to NYS Law

STRICTLY Confidential: 
Conversations are all confidential and can be anonymous.  Except in rare, extreme circumstances, nothing will be shared without Complainant’s explicit permission.

MOSTLY Confidential: 
Conversations are kept as confidential as possible, but limited information about incidents of sexual misconduct must be shared with relevant administrators and a Title IX Coordinator so that the College can take action if necessary for reasons of safety.  In planning any response, the wishes of the person are given full consideration.

According to NYS LAW Confidential: 
Exploratory conversations are confidential. Police reports, with identifying information redacted, may be available to the public upon request.  

This web site is designed as a source of information and support for anyone who may have been a victim of sexual assault or sexual harassment.  The menu items at the left can help you understand better your options.

Sexual Assault or Sexual Misconduct are serious acts against Union's code of conduct.  Acts of sexual misconduct may be committed by men against women, women against men, men against men, and women against women. If you feel you have been subjected to sexual assault or sexual misconduct, choose "Getting Help" from the menu at the left.

Sexual Harassment is unwanted and repeated sexual, abusive, or lewd language and/or suggestive jokes of a sexual nature. Harassment can include physical contact but not injury.

Homophobic Harassment is directed at persons or groups on the grounds of a perceived or actual sexual orientation (applying equally to homosexual, heterosexual or bisexual men or women).

Getting Help is important.  If you have been sexually assaulted, or think you have been sexually assaulted, the first thing you may want to do is to call (518) 388-6600, Union's Sexual Assault Support Number. The staff there have been specially trained to provide compassionate, confidential support for victims of sexual assault. For more information choose "Getting Help" at the left.

 Confidential Counseling

If you have been sexually assaulted or harassed you may want to call one of the sources on campus for confidential counseling:

  • The Counseling Center. Wicker Wellness Center. The Counseling Center offers confidential professional counseling services to Union College students. (518) 388-6161
  •  Religious programs. Reamer Campus Center 2nd floor. The Reverend Victoria Brooks, the Campus Protestant Minister and Interfaith Chaplain, can provide students confidential counseling regardless of religious background. (518) 388-6618

 The Union College administration offers programs and services that promote a balance of physical, emotional, social, intellectual and spiritual health. It encourages students to respect the dignity and rights of others, while developing a strong sense of their personal self-esteem and development. This includes building healthy sexual relationships, developing communication skills and reducing interpersonal violence.