All students who gain employment, whether on-campus or off, need to apply for a Social Security Number.

Working on-campus
Students are generally allowed to work on-campus not exceeding 20 hours / week while school is in session and 40 hours / week when school is not in session. Please consult with your International advisor regarding on-campus employment and to obtain a completed Permission to Work form.

Working off-campus
Approval from the International Advising office is required prior to working off-campus.

F-1 visa students may elect employment through Optional Practical Training (OPT) for paid practical work experience in their field or through Curricular Practical Training (CPT)  for work required by their course or degree program.

J-1 visa students may engage in academic training for employment related directly to their area of study.