The Next Step Social Justice Retreat is coming to Union! An event that happens annually at a number of schools across the country, this will be the first year the program will be presented at Union. Next Step gives students a forum to develop knowledge and skills to become better change agents, leaders and activists in regard to diversity, equity, power, privilege, prejudice and discrimination.
The Union Next Step retreat is a model adapted from the Next Step Retreat at the University of Vermont that was collaboratively developed by numerous dedicated student affairs professionals, students, faculty and social justice educators hoping to make a positive impact in their community. Colorado State University hosted the first Next Step program in 1994.
The mission of Next Step is to create a safe and inclusive, yet challenging experience for students, staff, and faculty where issues of social injustice and oppression are discussed honestly and openly through the experiences and stories of each other.
Next Step will take place on January 17-19, 2014 in College Park Hall.
Are You Ready for the Next Step?
Participation in Next Step Includes:
- Deepening your awareness of identity
- Developing your community
- Telling your story
- Connecting with new people
- Building relationships on campus
- Learning about social justice
- Building coalitions
Benefits of the Retreat:
- Participation in a dialogue group of 7-9 participants & 2 facilitators
- Full group activities on identity, power & equity
- Film screening & discussion
- Evening workshops planned by participants
- Personal action planning
- Stress relief space for reflection & recharging
- Unstructured breaks for socializing, networking, & coalition-building
- Meals provided to facilitators & participants throughout
- T-shirt & certificate of completion provided to all participants
- Accommodations & transportation included
- Direct access to staff, faculty, and student leaders & activists