Campus safety and security is a shared responsibility. There are many things that you can do to make the campus community safer. Prevent or remove opportunity for criminal acts.
- Be aware of your surroundings and the people around you at all times, using assertive body language to communicate that you are aware and in control.
- If you must walk alone, do so with confidence. Keep your head up, always alert and shoulders back.
- Travel only in well-lighted areas.
- Trust your instincts. If something or someone makes you feel uneasy, get out or away from the situation.
- If you feel threatened, don't be afraid to “make a scene.” Public embarrassment is the least concern when you are in a dangerous situation.
- Have your keys ready in your hand before you reach your car/home.
- Report any suspicious sounds, activities or behavior that you see to Campus Safety immediately at 911 (for emergencies) or x6911 (for non-emergencies).
If you are careful, your time at Union will be safer.