This policy is designed to address the use of Union College facilities for campus events other than regular academic activities. The definition of a regular academic activity includes regularly scheduled classes, labs, performing arts rehearsals and productions. The intent of this policy is to:

1. Establish consistent scheduling policies and priorities;

 2. Establish consistent fees and contracts for use of facilities and services;

 3. Establish and communicate the clear, consistent processes for facility usage outside of regularly scheduled classes;

 4. Minimize scheduling conflicts;

 5. Maintain the Central Scheduling reservation system to stream-line room requests and publish campus events to a central on-line calendar;

 6. Monitor the number of events occurring each day to prevent the overuse of facilities and grounds; and efficiently manage the workload of services personnel.

 General Rules For Scheduling Events

 As a private institution of higher education, Union College seeks to balance its mission of education with its commitment to cultural, social and economic development of the local community of which it is a part. The facilities of Union College exist primarily for the purpose of education and are used by its faculty, staff and students. However, Union College will make its facilities (primarily College Park Hall conference center) available to non-profit groups and organizations outside the College whose purpose is consistent with the College’s mission.

 The College maintains the right to determine which activities are appropriate to be held on the campus.


Events shall in no way violate the purposes, property, policies or regulations of Union College or New York State. All organizations are expected to follow the rules and regulations governing the particular facility or grounds being used. These rules and regulations are published in the Union College Staff Manual and the Union College Student Handbook.


Attendance must be on a non-discriminatory basis as set forth in Union College’s Staff Manual.

 All facilities are property of Union College and must be scheduled through Central Scheduling. There is no departmental or individual "ownership" of space.

 The configuration of space assignments may change from time to time as needs and opportunities change. It is inevitable that departments may at times be confronted with required changes that are less than desirable from their individual viewpoints or interests.

Due to the limited amount of meeting space, departments cannot reserve rooms for long durations (for example, one room for a 24-hour period for two weeks). Those scheduling a room on a continuing basis understand that the space may be preempted on occasion. Departments must expect limited space availability when making reservations in close proximity to the event date.

During the academic year, priority for the use of a specific facility within the context of the purpose for which that facility was designed (i.e. gym, classroom etc.), is given first as follows:

 A. College academic events

 B. College-sponsored events

 1. Red events

 2. College Park Hall events

 3. Student events

 4. Athletic events

 C. College related events

 In the event a scheduling conflict arises, the director of the Office of Special Events and Conferences, who oversees Central Scheduling, will consult with a Vice President to determine which event will be scheduled.


Definition of Union College Events


A. College Academic Events are those events planned by departments which are directly related to the instructional mission of the College. Examples of such events include: regularly scheduled classes and labs; activities resulting from academic course work (rehearsals, College concerts and theater productions, tutorials, review sessions, seminars and lectures); and faculty/administrative department meetings.


Regularly scheduled classes, labs, faculty/administrative department meetings are scheduled in the preceding term. Concerts, theater productions and seminars/lectures that involve booking outside speakers may be scheduled one year in advance. There are no facility rental fees charged for these events. Departments are responsible for direct costs for services such as dining services, equipment or furniture rental, and extraordinary facilities services outside of normal job responsibilities. Contracts may be required for outside speakers/lecturers. It is recommended that departments contact the Office of Special Events and Conferences for more information on contract requirements. College Academic Events are covered under the College’s insurance policy.


B. College Sponsored Events are events directly related to life of the campus community (matriculated students, faculty, staff or administrators) beyond the classroom (athletic, recreation and student programming activities). The sponsor of this type of event is responsible for the actions of its participants. There are three categories of College-Sponsored Events: 


1. College Red Events are major institutional events that have scheduling priority. Only the President’s office may classify an event as a Red Event. Events currently designated as a Red Event are:


· Admissions Acceptance Day/Open Houses

 · Board of Trustee Meetings

 · Commencement

 · Convocation

 · Founders Day Ceremony

 · Homecoming Weekend

 · Springfest

 · Nott Memorial Exhibit Openings

 · Perspectives at the Nott Lectures

 · Prize Day

 · ReUnion Weekend

 · Steinmetz Symposium


Red events are scheduled and/or sponsored by faculty, staff or administrative offices or departments. A Red Event generally is reserved one year in advance. No additional event will be scheduled during a Red Event without approval of the Office Of Special Events And Conferences or President’s Office.


There are no facility rental fees charged for these events. However, the sponsoring department is responsible for all costs for services. Contracts are required for external performers, speakers or vendors. Red events are covered under the College’s insurance policy.


2. College Park Hall Events CPH meeting rooms and ballroom are primarily used for external non-profit organizations during the business week to generate revenue for the College that supplements student services. Alternatively, on weekends, these rooms are mainly used by recognized student clubs/organizations.


Faculty or staff may request CPH rooms 30 days in advance for an internal events providing the conference space has not been reserved by external organizations. (NOTE: All requests must be submitted via the on-line request form located on the Central Scheduling webpage. Please contact Central Scheduling at ext. 6098 to set up a username/password.)


For event requests in advance of 30 days, the Events office will assist in find alternative comparable space on campus. If 30 days prior to event date CPH meeting space is available the requestor can contact the Events office to move locations.


Major College events whose actual attendance is historically over 150 attendees can be booked in CPH in advance of 30 days. Examples of such events may include:


· Those which are vital to the College, such as U-Connect, Employee Recognition luncheon, Annual Scholarship luncheon and Housing Lottery

 · Student Diversity activities such as Lambda Pi Chi’s Domestic Violence banquet

 · Fundraisers, conferences or lectures where vendor contracts must be executed several months in advance (copies of contracts must be provided to the Events office upon request for CPH)


The Events office will assist students, faculty or staff in finding a date where CPH use will have minimal or no impact on external revenue generating activity.


These events are self-supporting (department account numbers assigned and budgets approved) and are not affiliated with an outside organization or association. Such events require the sponsoring students, faculty or staff to be substantially involved in the planning and implementation of the event. Facilities Services Agreements are not required for this type of event. There are no facilities rental fees charged to the sponsoring student, faculty or staff. The sponsoring student, faculty or staff member is responsible for all costs related to the event, such as traffic detail, A/V technician, electrician or cleaners. College Park Hall Events are covered under the College’s insurance policy.



3. Student Event is an event planned by Student Activities or a student club or student organization that has received official recognition from the Student Activities Office. These events are primarily for members of the College community. Examples of such events are student organizational meetings, dinners, contests, shows, concerts, movies, all non-athletic events, and other social activities.


These events may be scheduled one term in advance and are held during academic terms until the weekend prior to exam week. There are no facility rental fees charged for these events. However, the sponsoring department must supply an account number when reserving space in order for all related costs to be charged to the event. Contracts are required for external performers, comedians, speakers, bands or vendors. Student events are covered under the College’s insurance policy.



4. Athletic Event is an Athletic Department activity such as practices, games, and intramurals that are planned primarily for members of the College community. These events may be scheduled one year in advance (or more depending on collegiate rules) and may be held during academic terms and winter break. All other events scheduled in athletic facilities must be coordinated through the Office of Special Events and Conference. 


C. College Related Events are those educational conferences and workshops sponsored by faculty or staff that charge a registration fee. These events may be scheduled one year in advance and only during fall, winter and spring academic terms and are recognized as a vital part of programming and visibility for the College.  


These events are self-supporting (department account numbers assigned and budgets approved) and are not affiliated with an outside organization / association. Such events require the sponsoring faculty or staff member to be substantially involved in the planning and implementation of the event.


Facilities Services Agreements are not required for this type of event. There are facilities rental fees charged to the sponsor. The sponsoring faculty or staff member is responsible for all costs related to the event. College Related Events are covered under the College’s insurance policy.


All other events are covered under the Union College External Solicitation Policy and shall be subject to contract agreements, rental fees and insurance requirements.




What Are The Reservation Procedures?


In order for the master schedule and on-line calendar to be successful, every department must reserve all rooms through the Central Scheduling Office via the on-line requestor form located on the Union College website at http://events.union.edu/. Once a room is approved and reserved, the Central Scheduling Office will issue a written confirmation. The confirmation will also appear in My Approvals located in the above mentioned web address.


(Note: Requesting a room does not guarantee a room reservation. Event plans should not be made until a confirmation has been issued by the Central Scheduling Office. In general, the Central Scheduling Office will respond to room requests within 24 hours or the next business day if requests are submitted on Friday after 4:30 p.m.)  


If there is a conflict of space, the event scheduled first will have priority over a later request. The following information is required in order to request a room:

1. The room requested. Choose from the drop down menus or type in description of room.

2. The title of the event as it will appear on the calendar

3. A brief description of the event as it will appear on the calendar

4. Speaker/performer name and title, if applicable

5. If publicity is needed, a detailed description of the event and topic to be covered

6. The number of participants expected to attend

7. The date, start time and end time of the event

8. The time which is needed to set up for the event

9. The time which is needed to break down and clean up after the event

10. All particular room configurations, equipment or services needed to run the event. (If this information is incompatible with the room requested, the Central Scheduling Office will assist in locating an appropriate room for the event.)

11. Contact person name, email and telephone number


If an event time is changed or the event is canceled for any reason, the Central Scheduling Office must be notified immediately. If the Central Scheduling Office is not notified of the change, departments may incur costs for services associated with the originally scheduled event.



What Are the Guidelines For Facilities Use?


A. General Use In order to minimize its risk exposure to liability, the College does not allow any facility to be utilized for personal use such as receptions; parties; religious events other than wedding ceremonies; showers; etc.

B. Wedding ceremonies are allowed only during term breaks and only in Memorial Chapel. In the future, if the College allows wedding ceremonies in an outside location (i.e. Jackson’s Garden) the sponsor is responsible for the cost and arrangement of all equipment rentals (tents, chairs, audio/visual equipment, etc) and support services.

C. Room Configuration To minimize excess wear and tear on its contents, rooms will not be reconfigured.

D. Nott Memorial

a. No food or drink is allowed in the Nott unless approved in advance. However, students have permission to have light fare (cookies, crackers, juice) on the first floor of the Nott for two events per term.

b. Faculty, staff and students may request use of the Nott for educational purposes.

c. Due to insurance requirements, the local community may not use the Nott for any events.

E. Old Chapel

a. Is primarily used for student events during academic terms.

b. During academic term breaks, faculty, staff and external organizations may request use of Old Chapel through the Central Scheduling.

F. Yulman Theater is primarily used by the Arts department.

G. Reamer Campus Center has set aside certain rooms primarily for use by students. During academic term breaks, these rooms may be reserved by departments through the Central Scheduling Office.

H. Classrooms

a. All requests made during the first two weeks of each term for classroom space between the hours of 7:30a.m. through 4:50 p.m. are handled by the Registrar’s Office.

b. The Central Scheduling Office coordinates all other requests.

c. Availability of classroom space varies depending on regularly scheduled classes.

I. Electronic and presentation rooms

a. May be requested by faculty and staff who have previously received ITS training.

b. Students must have a faculty advisor reserve electronic or presentation rooms for their use.

c. A faculty advisor must be present in the room and operate the equipment for the students.

d. No food or drink is allowed in electronic or presentation rooms.

J. Food and Beverage Service The Union College food service provider, Sodexho, has exclusive rights to food and beverage service in all facilities. All food and beverage arrangements must be made through Dining Services.



What Are The Responsibilities Of The Office Of Special Events?


It is the responsibility of the Office of Special Events and Conferences to determine whether events for which facilities are requested are College Sponsored, College Related or an external event. The decision process may include consultation with deans, vice-presidents, the president’s office, and other departments that may be directly affected by the event.



Departments may request the assistance of The Office of Special Events and Conferences when planning an event. The Office of Special Events and Conferences will act as liaison between departments or external organizations and the College by:

1. Arranging all support and auxiliary services

2. Scheduling room reservations

3. Contracting with area hotels for room blocks

4. Issuing contracts and verifying insurance certificates

5. Assisting departments with overall coordination of the event


Where Are The Principal Meeting Spaces On Campus?


Below is a list of the principle meeting spaces available on campus including their maximum seating capacities. NOTE: capacities may change depending on set up arrangements needed for an event.


Facility Room Max. Capacity

Hale House Dining Room 128

Everest Lounge 50

Old Chapel 250

Reamer Campus Center Room 203 18

Room 204 10

Room 205 14

Room 410 30

Auditorium 210

Becker Career Center Room 212 35

Room 202 10

Social Science Building Room 016 50

Room 017 50

College Park Hall (Contact Office of Special Events and Conferences for specific scheduling policy)