Links for Writers
- Style Manuals/Citation Guides - A good list of resources compiled by Schaffer Library.
- MLA Style. Citing Sources from the World Wide Web - The Modern Language Association style handbook and manual are the most prominent sources for guidelines on academic writing in the humanities. This site contains the only MLA-authorized guidelines for citing Internet resources. The guidelines include fourteen items to consider in a citation and several examples. From the MLA home page, go to MLA Style to Frequently Asked Questions.
- Paradigm Online Writing Assistant. Chuck Guilford, author of Beginning College Writing, has created a well-designed how-to write manual for the web.
- Ask Miss Grammar. If you can't find the answer to a grammar question, ask Miss Grammar or consult articles on various topics.
- Purdue On-Line Writing Lab - Dozens of hand-outs to help with writing problems
- Elements of Style by Strunk - The book all your professors seem to recommend.
- Bartlett's Quotations
- Glossary of Rhetorical Terms
- Grammar & Style Notes by Jack Lynch - A long file with alphabetized notes
- The King's English by (H. W. Fowler) - An older, authoritative--& authoritarian--work.
- The Craft of Scientific Writing
- How To Say It: English Usage and Citation Guide - Best Information on the Net (BIOTN), chosen by librarians at
O'Keefe Library, St. Ambrose University
- Dictionaries and Language Resources - One of Schaffer Library's list of useful websites. Excellent. Includes foreign language dictionaries and fonts.
- Indispensable Writing Resources. An annotated list of useful writing resources.
- The Internet Public Library Online Literary Criticism Collection
- A Word a Day home page
- Martindale's "The Reference Desk" (amazing collection of links)
Visit our web site devoted to study strategies and academic coaching.
- Great Books Index - List of Titles
- Challenged and Banned Books
- Word Play - I love this site. Links to anagrams, clichés, crossword generator, Klingon language, puns, Sniglets, an automatic complaint letter Generator, a thesis title generator, and much more, most of it wonderfully useless.
- Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest - Worst possible opening sentences of yet-to-be-written novels.
- AFU & Urban Legends Archives
- The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce