Alumni of Influence
A Union education opens doors
For more than two centuries, Union College has proudly watched its alumni go on to greatness in a wide range of fields and leave an indelible mark on society. From authors to athletes, politicians to playwrights, college presidents to a U.S. President... our alumni take their Union education into the world and use it to make an impact.
It would be impossible to list all of our accomplished and impressive graduates, but below are just a few.
- Rawson Marshall Thurber '97: Filmmaker and TV producer (Dodgeball, Magnum P.I.)
- Nikki Stone, '95: Olympic gold medalist (freestyle aerial ski jumping) at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan
- Dylan Ratigan '94: Anchor and co-creator of CNBC's Fast Money
- Kathy Magliato '85: Renowned cardiothoracic transplant surgeon
- Sue Goldie '84: Public health researcher and recipient of a MacArthur "genius" grant
- Ilene Landress '83: Executive producer, The Sopranos
- Richard Templeton '80: CEO, Texas Instruments
- Andrea Barrett '74: National Book Award winner; Pulitzer Prize finalist for fiction; recipient of a MacArthur "genius" grant
- Kate White '72: Former Editor-in-chief, Cosmopolitan magazine
- Ted Berger '72: Biomedical pioneer and developer of the bionic brain
- Phil Robinson '71: Screenwriter and director (Field of Dreams, Sneakers, Sum of All Fears)
- Alan Horn '64: Chairman of Walt Disney Studios; co-founder of Castle Rock Entertainment. Producer of Seinfeld, When Harry Met Sally, City Slickers, A Few Good Men, The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and the Harry Potter movies
- Baruch Samuel Blumberg '46: Winner of the 1976 Nobel Prize in Medicine (discovered the hepatitis B virus)
- R. Gordon Gould '41: Inventor of the laser
- Robert Patterson '12: Under Secretary of War under President Franklin Roosevelt; Secretary of War under President Harry Truman
- Chester Arthur 1848: 21st U.S. president
- William Henry Seward 1820: Abraham Lincoln's Secretary of State
Union's Wikipedia site has a more comprehensive history of the College's illustrious alumni.