Assistant News Director, WNYT, News/Weather/Sports
Job # 16-18
Job Title: Assistant News Director
Company: WNYT, News/Weather/Sports
Status: Full time, Salaried
The Assistant News Director oversees the day-to-day news gathering operation, guiding coverage across multiple platforms, including broadcast and digital. We’re looking for an inspirational leader, who can create a consistently excellent news product, utilizing audience research and ratings data. The AND must be able to create, maintain, and change complicated coverage plans that span a three state region, including New York, Massachusetts, and Vermont. Those wishing to be considered for this opportunity should detail in their cover letter how their experience and skill-set fits into the particulars of this position. Also, please include a brief explanation of your news coverage philosophy. Finally, please include a link to your most recent newscast.
- Bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism or related field preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience as an executive producer, assignment manager/managing editor or assistant news director, or minimum 8 years as a top market producer or assignment editor.
- Strong editorial judgment.
- Superior sense of news standards and ethics.
- Proven track record with breaking news, investigative and enterprise reporting, and weather coverage.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving abilities.
- Experience applying research to daily news gathering, investigative reporting, breaking news, and weather.
- Experience interpreting Nielsen and ComScore audience data.
- Directly supervise newsroom staff in daily newsgathering.
- Work on news management team to create tactics and strategies for audience growth.
- Implement research and strategic initiatives in daily newsgathering plan.
- Assures brand adherence in daily newsgathering.
- Lead reporters in producing original content.
- Work with reporters and photographers to develop stories rich in solid story-telling.
- Manage script approval process with producers, reporters and executive producer.
- Review daily newscasts for quality control, assuring producer goals are met.
- Work with News Director and Executive Producer to provide feedback and coaching to staff.
- Write, and train team to write, urgent, captivating content.
- Lead coverage planning of major and special events.
- Back-up for News Director when needed.
- Work across departments to create the strongest news product possible.
- Assist News Director with recruiting, hiring and accountability.
- Create and manage staff schedules.
- Approve staff time sheets.
- Work with fleet management service to maintain fleet of crew vehicles.
- Provide support to News Director for budgetary planning.
- Manage cooperative agreements that include networks for weather-related closings and election returns.
Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job. The Company will make reasonable physical accommodations to facilitate the ability to perform essential job functions.
No Telephone Calls Please
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER