The Executive Division of the New York State Office of the Attorney General (OAG) is seeking a Director of Communications. As head of the OAG, the Attorney General is both the “People's Lawyer” and the State's chief legal officer. As the “People's Lawyer,” the Attorney General serves as the guardian of the legal rights of the citizens of New York, its organizations and its natural resources. In her role as the State's chief legal counsel, the Attorney General not only advises the Executive branch of State government, but also defends actions and proceedings on behalf of the State. The OAG also brings affirmative litigation and develops policy initiatives on topics including civil rights, health care, environmental protection, labor, financial regulation and enforcement, public integrity, consumer protection, housing, drug trafficking, nonprofit law and many others.
An exciting, fast-paced, senior-level opportunity awaits the candidate selected to serve as the OAG’s Director of Communications. The selected candidate will help lead the communications team and work alongside senior leadership within one of the highest profile legal offices in the country. Their responsibilities will focus on media strategy (including the OAG’s web and social media presence), speechwriting, as well as leading major public awareness campaigns and advising the Attorney General on communications matters. The Director of Communications will report to the Chief of Staff and serve as a member of the Senior Executive Staff. This position is located in New York City. Light travel is required as necessary.
Specific qualifications are as follows:
• At least a bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, or related discipline.
• At least eight (8) years of relevant work experience in public and/or private sector.
• Government, political or campaign experience strongly preferred.
• Prior communications experience with a law enforcement agency or legal professionals a plus.
• Ability to communicate effectively in written and verbal communications, including public speaking.
• Excellent editing skills.
• Management experience required.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Collegiality is necessary; good sense of humor is a plus.
Additional duties include but are not limited to the following:
• Overseeing the creation of press material, and managing media relations.
• Developing and implementing strategic statewide public awareness campaigns to support policy initiatives.
• Supervising the drafting of speeches, talking points and op-eds.
• Advising on the crafting of a full range of policy initiatives.
• Overseeing rapid response and crisis management for sensitive, high profile issues.
OAG employees serve more than 19.85 million state residents through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The OAG is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to workplace diversity.
Applications are being received online. To apply, please click on this link: EXEC_DRCOM_NYC_6094; applicants will be taken to the online application page for this position. Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
• Cover Letter (You may address to Sandra Jefferson Grannum, Esq., Bureau Chief, Legal Recruitment)
• References – three (3) required with contact information and email addresses for each
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application. If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or you need assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment Bureau via email at email@example.com or phone at (212) 416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov