The Professional Development Program (PDP) of the University at Albany’s Rockefeller College seeks a service-minded individual who is
committed to performing high-quality work to fill an Event Planner/Project Staff Assistant position within PDP’s Department of Temporary
Assistance Training in Albany, NY.
Description of Duties: Under the direction of the Department Manager or designee, position plans and executes local, regional, and statewide in-
person and on-line education and training events in support of NYS policy initiatives, including conferences, meetings, and training programs; serves as an event planning specialist and member of a professional adult education and training event planning team and a logistical/project support
team; and works with project sponsors and project staff to establish clear training event goals for guiding the execution of project activities.
1. Bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by a USDOE or an internationally recognized accrediting organization in
Communications, Hospitality Management, Marketing, or Public, Business, or Educational Administration, or related field and minimum of 3
years of experience planning, coordinating, and executing conferences, meetings, and training events or educational programs.
2. Excellent writing, speaking, and interpersonal communication skills.
3. Strong knowledge of event planning/coordination industry standards.
4. Demonstrated proficiencies applying best practices in the event planning/coordination field to make logistical arrangements and implement
5. Demonstrated proficiencies assessing, interpreting, researching, and meeting event and training program needs of a complex nature.
6. Demonstrated proficiencies with preparing emails, reports, and event work plans, budgets, and proposals in conformance with project
7. Strong problem-solving skills and organizational skills with strict attention to detail.
8. Strong team and customer orientation with demonstrated commitment to excellence in customer service.
9. Demonstrated ability to successfully work under pressure as well as effectively prioritize, manage, and complete multiple tasks within
established deadlines and effectively work on multiple projects with competing priorities/deadlines.
10. Strong computer skills and demonstrated proficiencies using Microsoft Office products, particularly Word, Access, Excel, Outlook, and
11. Applicants must address in their applications their abilities to work with a culturally diverse population.
12. Ability to lift and carry up to 40 lbs.
13. Ability to work variable days and work hours and travel regularly throughout NYS to deliver and attend programs and meetings, including
travel to areas that may not be served by public transportation.
1. Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) credential or equivalent.
2. Proficiencies using databases, Event Leaf, Microsoft SharePoint, and webinar products (e.g., WebEx and GoToMeeting).
3. Additional experience with event planning and coordination.
4. Experience working in an adult education and training or related environment.
5. Working knowledge of the NYS social service delivery system and public welfare programs, such as Temporary Assistance, SNAP,
Employment & Advancement Services, and HEAP.
SPECIAL NOTES: Employment is with The Research Foundation for The State University of New York, a private, nonprofit, educational
corporation that administers sponsored program activity for the University at Albany. Salary is expected to be in the high $40s. Persons
interested in the above position should submit a resume, three work-related references, along with a letter of application. Applicants must also
provide two writing samples for which the applicant was the primary author, according to the following: a business email or memorandum written
by the applicant (of non-specific length); and a report written by the applicant (2 to 3 pages in length). Applicants selected for a final interview will
be expected to complete an assignment and present their assignment outcome/project to the search committee. Review of applications will begin
immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Budget Title: Project Staff Assistant
Descriptive Title: Event Planner
Department: Professional Development Program
Salary Range: High $40s
Posting No: R18-54
Reports to: Mangaer or their Designee
FLSA Status: Exempt
Applicants may also visit our website at www.pdp.albany.edu for more information.