Studio Camera Operator/Production Assistant, WNYT/WNYA TV, Albany, NY
Job #: 17-18
Job Title: Studio Camera Operator/Production Assistant
Schedule: Sunday - Saturday
Status: Part-time, Hourly
Position Summary: This position is responsible for all of the studio production elements including live and recorded shows. This position is also responsible for the oversight of the studio readiness and supplies and operations of control room graphics during live and recorded shows.
- Ability to read, write and speak English well.
- Familiarity with television control rooms, studios and news and non-news productions.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Must be flexible and able to deal with unexpected changes calmly.
- Follows directions well.
- Basic knowledge and experience with broadcast production equipment, techniques and language and demonstrates proficiency in use of equipment, techniques and language.
Essential Job Functions:
- Operate robotic television cameras, teleprompter, and control room graphics equipment at a satisfactory level and with confidence during live and taped shows.
- Responsible for the oversight of the studio and graphics readiness.
- Understands and operates the lighting systems in all studios.
- Responds to all cues given over headset and in person during shows. Must react quickly and efficiently to cues and other directions. Act as a critical communication link between director and talent. Reports any concerns.
- Takes care of all aspects of studio maintenance which includes cleaning, repair, set up, tear down and storage of studio and related items; routine inspection, monitoring performance and basic trouble shooting of equipment.
- Maintains and manages studio supplies including lamps, studio lighting, tools, including extra fixtures, cables and control boards and other studio supplies. Follow proper protocol for notifying other personnel when items are needed or there are problems or failures.
- On a daily basis provides assistance to and provides input about the show. Make suggestions for improvement. Ensures the studio, personnel and guests are ready and have up to date information for broadcasts.
- Assist with training or assistance to new staff members on equipment operation and other tasks.
- Looks for ways to expand current skills and abilities; takes initiative to learn new tasks and duties and keeps up to date with new technology.
- Works cooperatively and collaboratively with others. Builds working relationships with co-workers, talent, producers, directors, management and the general public. Acts in a professional manner when representing each station. Develop professional relationships with employees of other departments.
- Acts with a positive attitude.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Reports to work on time and works established schedule/hours.
Must be able to work in areas and conditions that can be noisy, has many distractions, and on occasion in extreme weather conditions (heat and cold). Must also be able to work quietly during live broadcasts and tapings. Listens to and responds verbally in English to others. Must have manual dexterity to operate camera and studio equipment. Must be able to move quickly at times throughout the building. Stands and sits for long periods of time. Pushes and pulls equipment on a regular basis. Work under tight deadlines and in pressure situations. Must be able to lift, carry and move with up to 20 lbs. Must be able to climb a ladder while carrying up to 20 lbs. The Company will make reasonable physical accommodations to facilitate the ability to perform essential job functions.
Works in professional, busy, collaborative team environment with a number of members.
No Telephone Calls Please
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER