Ambassadors are committed to following the COVID-19 Policy Agreement in order to keep the community as safe and healthy as possible, as well as promoting and cultivating a continued culture of care here at Union College.
In support of Union College's Union Where You Are program, delivering on its mission while protecting the health and safety of our community, Ambassadors will assist with proactive outreach in the community to communicate with and remind students about public health best practices. Individuals in this position will have a visible presence in the community that promotes health and safety, and will address concerns via peer and community-based interventions, elevating concerns to appropriate other resources as needed.
Ambassadors will need to complete training ranging in topics from COVID-19 to de-escalation and bystander intervention..
The program is open to all Union College students who demonstrate a willingness and commitment to keep the community as safe as possible. Students will need to be in a good conduct standing with the College.
In an effort to acknowledge that behavior change is a continuous process and will require consistent effort, Ambassadors will not immediately report behavior that violates the COVID-19 Policy, but rather are instructed to encourage fellow students and other community members to amend their behavior to comply with the COVID-19 requirements.
This position will be supervised by the Office of Community Standards.
- Maintain consistent physical presence on the Union College campus, walking, biking, or otherwise traveling a predetermined route through the campus
- This position may require the lifting of small items and walking the physical campus
- Approach and engage with students, faculty, staff, and any persons on campus to remind and reinforce the COVID-19 policy
- Correcting non-compliance with the policy, including: improper mask wearing, lack of physical distancing in groups
- Commending and rewarding individuals who are in compliance with this policy
- Answer any questions when approached about the COVID-19 policy
- Engage Campus Safety, residence life personnel, and other resources when non-compliance persists or personal safety is at risk
- Document repeat violations and communicate those violations appropriately to the Director of Community Standards or Community Standards Coordinator
- Wear appropriate shirt to signify your role as a COVID Ambassador
- Help organize health information and distribute it through tabling events, orientations, classroom presentations, and other on-campus events
- Help direct traffic and remind students to wear masks, physically distance, etc.
- Attend on-campus and virtual events to answer questions and share information
- Commitment of 10 hours a week
- Work hours range from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM during the week, and 12:00 PM to 5:00 PM on weekends
- Undergo training covering de-escalation, developing confrontation skills, bystander intervention, documentation, and the COVID-19 Workshop