Sponsor: Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Fund
Purpose: The purpose of the Foundation is to provide a continuing source of highly qualified scientists, mathematicians, and engineers by awarding scholarships to college students who intend to pursue careers in these fields.
- covers eligible expenses for undergraduate tuition, fees, books, and room and board up to a maximum of $7,500 annually
- sophomores are eligible for two years of support and juniors are eligible for one year of support
- Demonstrated potential for and commitment to a research career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering. (The most compelling way to demonstrate commitment to and potential for a research career is to have research experience.)
- Outstanding academic performance.
Citizenship Requirements: U.S. citizen
Additional Criteria: Be a full-time matriculated sophomore or junior pursuing a degree at an accredited institution of higher education and intend to pursue a research career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering.
Minimum GPA: 3.0 and in the top quarter of class
Class year: Sophomore or Junior
Subject restrictions: Mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering.
National deadline: Late January
Campus deadline: Mid-December
Nomination/Institutional Endorsement Required? Only four students from Union are nominated for the national competition each year. In order to be considered by Union College, submit your full application by the campus deadline. To see the current year’s deadline select Deadlines from the menu at the top of the page.
Fields of study:
- Physical and Natural Sciences