Financial Aid

Submission of Tax Documentation

When completing the application process for the academic year, please note that tax returns (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ forms) are not accepted for verification of student and parent income. Our office collects IRS tax return transcript (or IRS DRT) information to comply with current tax verification requirements.

IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)

We recommend that parents and students (if applicable) utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) on the FAFSA to submit the required tax information. Parents and students who have completed the FAFSA without using the DRT can log back in to the FAFSA and update their income sections by using the DRT. For families who decide not to use the DRT to transfer their IRS information to the FAFSA or who are unable to use the tool for other reasons, please follow the instructions below to submit the Federal Tax Return Transcript.

To Request The Federal Tax Return Transcript

The IRS will allow you to order your transcript(s) online or by mail using IRS Form 4506-T. Do not have the tax return transcript mailed to our office - please have the tax return transcript mailed to the address on your tax return and then forward the tax return transcript to our office by mail or fax.

It will take approximately 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives your request for you to receive your transcript(s).

Keep in mind the following when you order your transcript:

  1. Make sure that you have the taxpayer's social security number (for joint filers please use the social security number of the filer whose name appears first on the tax return).
  2. Make sure the address you use in this process is the address the IRS has on file. In most cases this will be the address on your most recent return. If you do not know the correct address, contact your local post office, they will be able to provide this information to you.
  3. For 1040X (Amendment return) Filers, please submit all of the following to the Financial Aid Office:
    1. IRS Tax Return Transcript
    2. Signed Form 1040X
  4. If you are "Married, Filing Separately," please submit an IRS Tax Return Transcript for both individuals.