- Website on teaching writing in First-Year Seminars: A WAC site from Colorado State that offers practical ideas to faculty on how to integrate writing into your course, design effective assignments, assign research, conduct peer review, respond to student writing, and more.
Critical Reading and Discussion Questions
- Critical reading questions: useful for any text, fiction or non-fiction
- Critical reading strategy: to show students how to think more about a text or idea
- Designing effective reading assignments: California State University Sacramento website
- Guide for Close Reading Literary Texts: Anu Jain
- Toulmin Argument Analysis Handout and Assignment: Mary Mar
Designing effective assignments Colorado State website
Creating Effective Assignments M.I.T. website
Teaching Features of Writing
- Features of academic writing
- Thesis statements
- Conferencing with Students
- Four Commandments Hugh Jenkins
- Keywords for essay writers Hugh Jenkins
- Checklist for Grammar and Style Steve Sargent
- Grading Standards for Essays
- Rhetorical Grading Standards for Essays Mary Mar
- Short Guide to Academic Grading Standards
- Writing Rubric / Grading Sheet Mary Mar
- Template for Common Paper Comments Anu Jain
- Peer Revision handout with comments by the instructor Katherine Lynes
- Self-Assessment handout with comments by the instructor Katherine Lynes
Precept Lunch Discussions: Tuesdays or Thursdays during fall and winter term, locations TBA
Schaffer Library: What is the role of Schaffer Library in the FYP? Whether through formal instruction sessions that a Preceptor arranges with a members of the Schaffer Library professional staff or through the one-to-one exchanges that take place at the Library’s Reference Desk, the role of the Library is to help First-year students adjust their approach to information gathering so that is consistent with how research is carried out in a college-level academic setting.
Writing Center: Writing tutors are available to work with your students.
Sun-Thurs 7-10 pm Mon-Fri 2:30-5pm. Fridays 2-4:30 pm. 226 Schaffer Library
Consultant: Director of Writing Services, Mary Mar, will answer faculty questions or provide help designing effective assignments, responding to writing, dealing with students with writing difficulties, etc.
Faculty Survey: Your colleagues' views on student writing (1999 survey).