International Advising

Filing U.S. Taxes

Nonresident alien tax (for International students and scholars filing U.S. taxes):

The International Advising Office is not able to give out tax advice or answer specific filing questions.

Please read the information below and visit Sprintax when filing your U.S. taxes.

File Form 8843. This form has to be filled out and filed with the IRS even if you are not employed. This states that you are exempt from paying taxes.

In addition to form 8843 you may have to fill out forms 1040NR or 1040-NR-EZ if you have worked or have a taxable scholarship or assistantship stipend.

  • Scholarship or fellowship used for books, courses, or for study do not need to be included as part of your income. It is not taxable.
  • If scholarship or fellowship money is used for room and board then it is taxable.
  • Stipends are taxable.

Tax Treaties

Countries have treaties with the U.S. that allow their residents to earn money while temporarily in the U.S. without being taxed. Visit the IRS website for a complete list of countries and their treaties under publication 901.


Sprintax is an online application system purchased by The International Advising Office to assist international students and scholars in complying with their non-resident alien tax obligations. This program will assist you in filling out the proper tax forms for Federal and State taxes. You will receive a Sprintax Access Code in late January or early February of each year through your Union email. The software is free for filing Federal Tax after entering the code.

Send all Federal Tax Forms to:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Austin, Texas
73301-0215, USA

Forms need to be in by April 15 or by June 16 if you are just filing form 8843

Visit the IRS for more information on filing your Federal Taxes.

Filing New York State Taxes

  • If you do not have income and filed form 8843 then you do nothing for the State of New York.
  • If you do have to file a NY State tax return file form IT-203 for nonresident and part-year resident income and form IT-2 if you received a W-2 form.

Please visit NY State Department of Taxation and Finance for more information on filing with New York State and where to mail your forms in.


The International Advising Office works to provide useful information, but we make no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to handouts or websites. Union College does not provide legal advice. Additionally, As since legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for the advice of an independent, competent counsel or tax professional. Neither Union College nor the International Advising Office is responsible for any errors or omissions contained in these materials, or for the results obtained from the use of this information.