Dear Union College Community Members:
It is nice to see campus coming to life with activity as we all prepare for another academic year. As President Harris said in his welcome video this week, it’s good to be returning to an environment where the personal interactions that make Union such a special place will be more the norm once again this fall.
Our ability to be together on campus comes as a result of the health protocols that our community members have embraced throughout the pandemic, and especially in recent weeks and months. As a reminder, this is where we stand on key COVID-19 protocols:
- The Union community will be approximately 99 percent vaccinated by the start of fall term. Those very few individuals who have received medical or religious exemptions from the vaccine will be required to test weekly for COVID-19. As a reminder, any student who has not submitted vaccination information will not be allowed to move into their residence hall or begin classes.
- As an additional layer of protection, the College has instituted a mask mandate for most indoor spaces for all students, employees and guests at least through the first two weeks of the fall term. The requirement will be revisited at that time and a decision will be made on future mask usage based on the best available data related to COVID-19 in our region and on our campus.
- Students are strongly encouraged to test for COVID-19 72 hours before their arrival on campus. All forms of testing will be accepted, with the exception of antibody testing.
- All students and employees will be required to test twice for COVID-19 at the start of the fall term. After this initial testing, weekly testing will be available on Wednesdays starting Sept. 29 and is encouraged. More details about testing protocols for students and employees also can be found on the COVID-19 web page.
Finally, we are still in need of employee volunteers to help staff the COVID-19 testing center, both for initial testing and the weekly surveillance testing.
- Testing center volunteers can sign up using this link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/8050e44aaae2aa1fe3-testing
Testing volunteer roles include acting as an observer, printing labels or helping to move people through the testing process. The sign-up link contains descriptions of the various roles. Most jobs require only minimal training and each shift is between 3 and 3.5 hours long.
This is a great opportunity to do a small thing to help make a big difference for our community. Thanks to those who have signed up already to help and to all those who will sign up.
As always, we will continue to provide updates to the community on a regular basis. The latest information also can be found at any time on the College’s COVID-19 web page.
Interim Dean of Faculty and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Vice President for Student Affairs
Beth R. Glassman
Interim Chief Human Resources Officer
Vice President for Finance and Administration