Director, Communications and Marketing, Rockefeller College
Albany, NY - Posted on: Thursday 07/28/16
About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany's broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of more than 17,300 students in eight schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State's capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
Rockefeller College of Public Affairs & Policy at the University at Albany is seeking an experienced marketing and communications professional to plan, manage and produce communications to market the College's programs to prospective students and build the College's local, state and national reputation.
The successful candidate will possess and use planning, research and writing skills to create, curate and disseminate content that both informs and engages prospective students, community partners, and peer institutions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director of Communications and Marketing will manage the College's external communications program while working collaboratively with the University's Office of Communications and Marketing. The Director will be expected to develop and execute a comprehensive and consistent communications strategy and marketing plan that promotes the College's mission and increases the visibility of the College to both internal and external stakeholders.
Specific duties will include:
- Oversight of the Rockefeller College website as a tool for marketing the College to its various constituencies
- Manage the publication of a bi-annual news magazine, which includes writing and editing articles, finding, producing, and/or acquiring appropriate photographs, and supervising layout and distribution
- Manage the design and content of College print materials including brochures, newsletters, magazines, and advertisements
- Lead the strategy development and delivery of digital marketing campaigns
- Direct and organize the production of electronic newsletters and video for the promotional and educational goals of the College
- Manage relationships with contractors used to develop, deploy, and/or disseminate online and print materials
- Collaborate with College faculty and staff and the University's marketing and media relations staff to effectively place College news and features with public media outlets and in on-campus media
- Write and edit creative copy used to publicize the College
- Manage and extend the reach of the College's social media platforms
- Manage and collaborate with third party vendors
- Review analytics to gain insights on e-news readership and website usage and apply those insights to improve effectiveness
- Ensure the accuracy of content and data for media including the Rockefeller College website, printed publications, and news
- Publish stories for the College website and edit content as needed
To accomplish the above tasks, it is necessary for the Director of Communications and Marketing to:
- Develop a deep understanding of the College's mission, goals and priorities
- Build relationships and regularly interact with various University community members including faculty, staff and students; alumni; University leaders; and other stakeholders
- Develop and demonstrate an understanding and working knowledge of the College including planned activities, academic programs, faculty research, student success, alumni community, and social impact
- Maintain a working knowledge and awareness of University and College branding and graphic identity programs
- Demonstrate the ability to plan projects, effectively juggle several projects at a time, work efficiently, stay within budget, and meet deadlines
- Exhibit strong organizational skills regarding management of all information related to the details of news, media and publications materials
- Proactively seek new projects and ideas that promote and market the strengths and successes of the College
- Demonstrate excellent editing, research, organizational, and analytical skills
- Bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by a US Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization
- At least five years of experience in public relations, marketing, communications or closely related field
- A portfolio that demonstrates superior writing, storytelling and copyediting skills
- The ability to work collaboratively and build professional relationships with colleagues and constituents from diverse backgrounds
- A willingness to work with teams in all areas of the College's mission
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with the ability to plan and implement large projects, meet deadlines, and coordinate efforts by subordinates, peers, and members of the academic faculty
- Experience working in digital marketing including the use of web, social media and email analytics to gain insights on readership and usage
- Experience using technology for email production and web content management
- Education and training related to communication and marketing such as a Master's degree, certifications, or accreditation from PRSA or IABC
- Professional experience in higher education
- Experience with earned media, including development of relationships with media outlets, writing op-ed and online opinion contributions, and coordination of appearances by organizational leaders and experts on all forms of media
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Senior Staff Assistant, SL-3
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University's crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University's current campus security policies. The University at Albany's Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via http://albany.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=73484
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications and any of the applicable preferred qualifications, including their ability to work with diverse populations
- Names and contact information of three professional references
Note: After submitting your resume, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Login to your U-Albany Careers Account to check your completed application.
Closing date for receipt of applications: August 27, 2016