- Becker Career Center
- Academic Advisement Assistant for Psychology, University at Albany, Albany, NY
Academic Advisement Assistant for Psychology
Albany, NY - Posted: 10/19/16 | SHARE:
About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany's broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of more than 17,300 students in eight schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State's capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
The Psychology Department at the University at Albany is seeking an Academic Advisement Assistant to oversee advisement services for its undergraduate program. This position will provide academic advisement services to all undergraduate Psychology majors. The Academic Advisement Assistant will coordinate communication to our students and alumni, using email and the web to disseminate news and important information on an ongoing basis. This position will also administer information sessions each semester for new and intended majors.
Other responsibilities include: supervising graduate assistants assigned to the Advisement Center, staffing transfer conferences and open houses, and serving as a liaison between the Department and other advisement and/or career offices on campus.
The successful candidate must have a commitment to student-centered advisement and will be comfortable using information technology to assist in advisement.
This position will report directly to the Chair of the Psychology Department.
- Bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by the US Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization
- Two years minimum professional experience in academic advisement or student-services related area
- Demonstrated superior interpersonal, written (as assessed by the application materials submitted), and oral communication skills
- Strong computer skills
- Applicants must address in their cover letter or personal statement their ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Master's degree from a college or university accredited by the US Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization
- A background in Psychology
- Experience with event planning
- Demonstrated public speaking experience
- Website development/maintenance
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Academic Advisement Assistant, SL-2
Special Notes: This position has a calendar year obligation. Candidates must be able to work Commencement weekend each spring. Participation is also required for all open houses and summer transfer sessions. Occasional weekend and evenings required.
Closing date for receipt of applications: November 12, 2016
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University's crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University's current campus security policies. The University at Albany's Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via http://albany.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=77214
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Personal statement detailing applicant's approach to advising
- Contact information for three references
Note: After submitting your resume/CV, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Login to your U-Albany Careers Account to check your completed application.