Academic Advisor (3)
Albany, NY - Posted on: Friday 06/17/16
About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany's broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of more than 17,300 students in eight schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State's capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
The Advisement Services Center at the University at Albany is seeking three Academic Advisors with responsibility to provide academic advisement to approximately 350 undergraduate students. As the primary point of contact for Undergraduate UAlbany students during their academic careers, this student oriented position works closely with students to develop individual success strategies. This includes the identification of potential academic roadblocks for students and proactive problem solving to address those issues.
The successful candidates must be familiar with the developmental model of academic advising, have a commitment to student-centered advisement, and will be comfortable using information technology to assist in advisement. Primary responsibilities include:
- Providing assistance to students in their development and ongoing achievement of education goals
- Providing students with academic planning services based on program requirements and support services
- Promoting student success and retention through effective communication, service, and support
- Connecting with students on a regular basis to build and maintain rapport and serving as the first point of contact to ensure questions are answered and concerns are resolved
- Collaboration with faculty and other University departments to enhance student success and coordinate support services
- Remain current on best practices in advising/retention and provide support to the University community as appropriate
This is a calendar year position and participation is required in all summer orientation sessions. Salary is non-negotiable.
- Bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization
- One year professional experience advising, or relevant graduate-level employment with a college student population
- Strong interpersonal, writing (as assessed by application materials submitted) and oral communication skills
- Applicants must also address their ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Master's degree from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization
- Experience working with special populations including: pre-health, international, transfer and/or at-risk students
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Academic Advisor, SL-3
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University's crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University's current campus security policies. The University at Albany's Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via http://albany.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=71472
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Personal statement detailing applicant's approach to academic advising, and giving examples as appropriate
- Reference contact information
Note: After submitting your resume, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Login to your U-Albany Careers Account to check your completed application.
Closing date for receipt of applications: July 17, 2016