Assistant Director, College Housing
Albany, NY - Posted on: Tuesday 07/26/16
About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany's broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of more than 17,300 students in eight schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State's capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
The Assistant Director is responsible for the general oversight of a residence area housing approximately 1300 students. The Assistant Director is responsible for the supervision of full time professional staff, graduate assistants and para-professional staff who are all responsible for insuring the residence community is conducive to the academic and personal success of our students. This position is the primary residence area contact for faculty, staff, students, and parents and reports directly to the Associate Director of Residential Life.
The Assistant Director serves as a member of the departmental middle management group and is critical to the development and implementation of all departmental policies and procedures. The individual in this position should be well versed in assessment in order to adequately monitor the success of their living area. They will provide on-duty emergency back up coverage for students during the academic year, recesses, and summer session, on a rotating basis.
This position will also serve on department, division, and campus-based committees.
This is a 12 month position. Due to the seasonal nature of this position, additional assigned responsibilities are required during the summer months.
- Bachelor's degree required, but Master's degree preferred in Educational Administration or related field from a college or university accredited by the U.S. Department of Education or an internationally recognized accrediting organization
- Minimum of 3 years full time experience working as a Resident Director
- Demonstrated superior interpersonal, organizational and writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive issues and respond to crisis in a timely, effective manner
- Demonstrated supervisory skills and experience managing others in the workplace
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Experience working with parents, faculty and staff
- Applicants must address in their application their ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Assistant Director of College Housing - SL3
This is a live-on-campus position and includes an apartment with cable, local phone service, and wireless internet connection.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University's crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University's current campus security policies. The University at Albany's Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via http://albany.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=73496
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications and any of the applicable preferred qualifications
- A list of three references, one of which should be a current supervisor
Note: After submitting your resume, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Login to your U-Albany Careers Account to check your completed application.
Closing date for receipt of applications: August 13, 2016