Assistant Director - Career Advisor for the Arts
Medford, MA - Posted on: Tuesday 07/05/16
The Tufts Career Center provides comprehensive career development assistance to undergraduates, graduate students, and alumni from Arts, Sciences and Engineering, and as of July 1 2016, the School of the Museum of Fine Arts. We provide individual career advising, drop-in hours, online resources, workshops, graduate school advising, career and internship fairs, networking and presentations with alumni and employers, job and internship search assistance, and online job and internship listings. We strive to transform students’ lives so that they can have a profound impact on the world. Through the Campus Recruiting Program, the Career Center works closely with recruiters/employers to arrange information sessions, resume collections and interviews. The Tufts Career Center seeks an Assistant Director to join the professional staff to serve a diverse group of students and alumni as a Career Advisor for the Arts.
The Tufts Career Center Assistant Director - Career Advisor for the Arts will provide career advising to Tufts undergraduates, graduate students and recent alumni who are interested in the arts with a special focus on Tufts SMFA students. Advise in all phases of career development: identifying career interests/skills/values; securing grants and residencies; internship and job search; and helping to connect students and alumni to the creative economy. Participate in designing and organizing innovative programming to ensure that students and alumni are prepared for careers after Tufts, including assisting in development of marketing and publicity materials to communicate programs and services. Engage key internal and external constituents including faculty, administration, parents/families, alumni and prospective employers to build support for career success. Represent the university to prospective employers and at on-campus and off-campus events.
• Provide career advising and guidance through in-person, email, phone and skype appointments and drop-ins. Position requires working with students on the Tufts SMFA campus in Boston and the Tufts Medford campus with responsibilities at both sites
• Advise on topics of internship and job search strategies and skill development in the areas of resume, CV, portfolio development, networking, interviewing and graduate school opportunities
• Develop, plan, and manage programs and workshops for Tufts SMFA students, students in art-related majors and programs, and those with career interests in art and design to assist them in becoming active members of the wider art and design community
• Manage credited internship program for Tufts SMFA students
• Promote Tufts students and graduates and represent the university to prospective employers and external constituents at on-campus and off-campus events, initiate employer outreach, and maintain relationships to increase internship and employment opportunities including artist residencies, exhibition proposals, grants and additional entrepreneurial opportunities
• Work closely with key Tufts stakeholders to help students secure art related grants and residencies
• Participate in related arts consortia
• Build and maintain relationships and collaborate with faculty, staff, alumni and employers to provide targeted programming and messaging to students; Develop strategic relationships with key student organizations
Minimum Required Experience, Education, Background, And Certifications/Licenses
• Bachelor’s Degree and 2-3 years of related professional experience including: career/academic advising in a higher education setting; or staffing, recruiting, or job development experience in the creative arts fields/industries
• Knowledge of career advising/coaching techniques and demonstrated understanding of current job/internship seeking skills, cover letters and resumes, interviewing techniques and portfolio development
• Ability to market Tufts students and establish relationships with employers
• Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills, including presentation skills
• Experience with coordinating events • Experience with creating and maintaining social media sites, databases and related technology
• Knowledge of general office procedures including proficiency in MS Office • Ability to supervise student assistants and interns
Additional Preferred Experience, Education, etc.
• Master’s degree in Higher Education, Counseling, Fine Arts or arts related field of study strongly preferred
• Experience advising students in the creative/fine arts or working in the field of fine arts preferred
• Experience in designing for and/or marketing to a diverse audience
Please apply on the Tufts University website: http://jobs.hr.tufts.edu/Search for Job # 16001407
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds. Please see the Tufts University non-discrimination statement.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Medford and Boston, MA
Job: Student Services
Job Posting: June 8, 2016