Boston, MA - Posted on: Tuesday 06/21/16
Wayfair is looking for a talented, driven, and entrepreneurial Category Manager to build and execute strategy for our high-growth home categories which include Furniture & Decor, Home Improvement, Housewares & More and Appliances & More.
The ideal candidate is an energetic team player who understands how to effectively drive results in a fast-paced and rapidly growing company. The Category Manager will be responsible for growing sales while improving profitability, including identifying new business opportunities, developing relationships and negotiating with key suppliers on pricing, expanding the catalog, developing a competitive strategy, and managing and developing Category Associate(s). The candidate must have an interest in innovating to solve business problems creatively and a willingness to hit the ground running.
The role requires a leader who can align external supplier partners and cross-functional internal teams to advance key business drivers, such as inventory planning, pricing, operational performance, marketing/promotions, and merchandising. The Category Manager must be able to execute category plans while managing the day-to-day business and while contributing to the larger team’s development.
The ideal candidate has successful negotiating and project management experience, and can balance analytical thinking with effective communication. Interest in leading others and a vested interest in the team is a must.
We welcome applications from high caliber professionals who are looking for the next chapter of their careers, for whom home goods & décor are a meaningful arena to use the skills they developed in generalist business settings. Please reach out and highlight how your experience can be leveraged to contribute to the success of the next great e-commerce business.
- Develop and implement category plan to achieve revenue and profitability goals
- Build strong relationships with existing suppliers and execute negotiations to secure best pricing, sales programs, and promotional support
- Analyze data to strategize profit growth opportunities for the category and for specific supplier partners
- Advance catalog expansion, including the identification of selection gaps, the prioritization of new item production, and the development of relationships with new, target suppliers
- Identify sales, merchandising, and operational opportunities for the category and collaborate with internal teams to drive change (Planning, Advertising, Merchandising, Operations, PR, Finance, Customer Service, Business Intelligence)
- Analyze and anticipate competitor marketing, selection, and pricing strategy
- Train, mentor, and develop Category Associates in Wayfair best practices
- Attend tradeshows to visit key suppliers and source new product (4-8 times per year)
- Bachelor Degree from top-tier institution with a strong academic record
- 2-5 years of management consulting, e-commerce, retail merchandising or business development experience
- Articulate and persuasive communication skills, both written and verbal
- Track record of successful negotiation and relationship management skills
- Ability to hit the ground running – a confident, entrepreneurial self-starter
- Demonstrated senior presence, recognized as an effective leader. Experience managing others preferred
- Ability to manage and prioritize projects, and to delegate tasks appropriately
- Innovative problem-solving skills – dissect and determine root causes of problems, and implement solutions
- Track record of taking on big challenges and delivering despite obstacles and limited resources
- Experience in business and data analytics, Excel, SQL
Wayfair Inc. offers an extensive selection of home furnishings and décor across all styles and price points. The Wayfair family of brands includes:
- Wayfair.com, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, a go-to online source for modern design
- DwellStudio, a design house for fashion-forward modern furnishings
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
Wayfair generated $2.25 billion in annual sales in 2015 and $747.3 million in net revenues for first quarter 2016. The company employed 4,604 people as of March 31, 2016 and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe. The company has previously been named one of America’s Most Promising Companies by Forbes Magazine and selected by the Boston Business Journal and Glassdoor.com as a Top Company to Work For and Top Company for Well Balanced Life.