Community Sustainability Associate
Albany, NY - Posted on: Tuesday 07/26/16
Climate Action Associates LLC has an immediate opening for a Community Sustainability Associate to support our growing portfolio of work with state and local government clients. The position will be based in the New York’s Capital Region.
The Associate will support the Clean Energy Communities (CEC) program being implemented by Capital District Regional Planning Commission (CDRPC) through contract with the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA). This program will bolster local energy policy and will support staff, elected officials, and community members in the state’s 1600 cities, towns, and villages.
Duties may include:
- Performing outreach on sustainable energy issues, and helping communities become designated as a Clean Energy Community.
- Assisting and facilitating local sustainability and climate action plans.
- Supporting local organic waste recycling, planning, and policy initiatives.
- Providing technical support on energy benchmarking and renewable energy projects, and on policies such fleet fuel efficiency, solar zoning, and Community Choice Aggregation.
- Identifying creative energy projects that leverage each community’s unique assets, and then facilitating local stakeholders to design, finance, and implement these projects.
- Assisting community efforts to become a Climate Smart Community, and to become certified.
- Presenting at Town Hall meetings and other local events to introduce communities to sustainability policies, and to help them overcome barriers.
- Developing and conduct on-site training and workshops to groups of interested local officials and community stakeholders on specific clean energy topics.
The heart of the position is to engage, nurture, and support communities to dramatically increase the number of communities successfully participating in the CEC program. Therefore, the ideal candidate enjoys working with people, naturally keeps a wide social network, and is dedicated to driving growth of sustainability practices statewide. They may also have experience with energy programs such as those run by NYSERDA, or have facilitated local planning and policy efforts professionally or as a volunteer.
CAA is a small consulting firm, and candidates must be able self-motivated and be able to work independently. Associates must enjoy an unstructured environment, an ideally are able to grow the firm evolve and grow its client base
The candidate will likely have a background in either urban and regional planning, environmental science, and/or energy policy and will have 0-4 years of work experience. Anyone, however, confident in their experience and in their success is welcome to apply. A BS/BA is expected and an MS/MA is preferred. Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and website/web application development is a plus but is not required.
The position will be based in New York’s Capital Region, but CAA will consider placing uniquely qualified candidates throughout eastern upstate New York. It will be regular full time regular employment though other opportunities may exist for contracting work and part time employment. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Please email a cover letter and resume to Jim Yienger (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please no cold calls. Do not contact CDRPC or NYSERDA directly.