- Becker Career Center
- Core Faculty - East West Psychology, California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS), San Francisco, CA
Core Faculty - East West Psychology
Posted: 01/20/17 | SHARE:
California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS) is an internationally-recognized leader in integral education. CIIS has an enrollment of more than 1,600 students pursuing degrees in a variety of academic programs in its schools of Consciousness and Transformation, Professional Psychology and Health, Undergraduate Studies, and American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine. In addition, CIIS hosts a vibrant art exhibition program through The Arts at CIIS, and offers a dynamic array of events through its Public Programs & Performances division, including workshops, concerts, and conferences. The University provides low-cost mental health and acupuncture services to the San Francisco Bay Area through its 10 award-winning counseling and acupuncture clinics. CIIS is accredited by the Western Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC) and Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM).
The department offers M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in East-West Psychology and focuses on the meeting of Eastern, Western, and Indigenous psychological and spiritual traditions. As an academic field, East-West Psychology constitutes a context for disciplines that explore the interface of psychology and spirituality, including transpersonal and Integral psychology, depth psychology (Jungian, archetypal, and psychoanalytic), consciousness studies, Ecopsychology, Western mystical traditions, Eastern spiritual traditions (Buddhism, Hinduism, and Taoism) Indigenous and shamanic studies, and contemplative psychology. Approaching scholarly conversations with a spirit of dialogical inquiry and mutual transformation in our courses, the department explores the implications of this convergence of disciplines for our diverse and multicultural world.
This commitment also entails bridging psychospiritual growth with social transformation. The department offers an integral transformative education that encourages students to engage in the integration of knowledge and the exploration of multiple ways of knowing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties for this full-time position include:
• Teach 18 units per year
• Advise new and continuing students
• Serve on university committees
• Attend faculty and student meetings
• Work collaboratively with faculty and Program Director
• Oversee dissertations
• Conduct information sessions and admissions interviews
• Attend CIIS-wide open houses
• Engage in professional development, scholarly research, and publication
In reviewing applications, the committee will place high value on:
• Commitment to the mission and disciplines explored by the EWP department.
• Scholarly expertise and demonstrable proficiency in teaching in such areas as listed below, with special consideration for (a) Ecopsychology, (b) Eastern spirituality, religion, psychology, (c) Western mystical traditions and comparative religious studies, and/or (d) Jungian and archetypal psychology. These are the primary areas of expertise sought for this position.
• Experience in teaching courses that focus on the intersection of psychology and spirituality across cultures. Additional proficiency in teaching Indigenous studies, East-West spiritual counseling, theoretical/qualitative research methods, and consciousness studies will also be valued but are not required.
• Scholarly publications and engaged scholarship in the above areas.
• Academic experience working with culturally-diverse groups; demonstrable awareness of the importance of engaging and valuing diversity; viewing diversity as integral to all phases of education and scholarship.
• Inspiring and effective teaching skills, including facilitation of experiential learning.
• Ability to mentor students and direct doctoral dissertations.
• Willingness to participate in East-West Psychology community events and to take on administrative
To apply: Please submit the following online:
• Cover letter describing how your skills and experience match the requirements of the position
• Curriculum Vita
• List of three professional references
• Samples of recent publications, presentations, assessment practices, and syllabi
Apply here: http://www.Click2apply.net/gw5