Director of Sustainability
West Chester, PA - Posted: 10/19/16 | SHARE:
Join a vibrant campus community whose excellence is reflected in its diversity and student success. West Chester University of Pennsylvania is seeking exceptional candidates for the position of Director of Sustainability. Reporting directly to the President's Office and with a close working relationship with the Offices of the Vice President for Administration and Finance, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, Vice President for Student Affairs, and Associate Vice President for Facilities, the Director will have responsibility for overseeing all University initiatives related to sustainability.
Within the context of the University's Strategic Plan, including its Climate Action Plan, the Director will be expected:
· To bring visionary leadership and organizational strategy to the task of enhancing West Chester University's status as an emerging model for sustainability in higher education.
· To create the strategy to integrate a culture of sustainability throughout the University via initiatives in Academic Affairs, the Facilities Division, and Student Affairs, network with and to facilitate internal and external resources to accomplish that goal, and evaluate the needs of the University community.
· To create and to implement communication strategies to promote broad awareness of initiatives and to develop a University-wide process and organizational structure to support sustainability inquiry, change, and assessment.
· To build effective partnerships and relationships with surrounding communities and with regional institutions and establish effective linkages with units across campus that may have sustainability initiatives in process or as part of their overall strategy.
· To be responsible for grant writing and funding, corporate partnerships, and programs that promote campus sustainability efforts.
· To be responsible for annual reporting requirements and implementing other University policies and commitments related to sustainability.
· To coordinate, support, and expand opportunities for faculty, staff, students and administrators to learn about sustainability issues throughout the academic and operational dimensions of University life.
Campus Sustainability Leadership
· Provide leadership to the campus and act as organizational strategist in order to position West Chester University as a leader in sustainability in higher education.
· Develop and coordinate a process that leads to the creation of sustainability standards and policies that are consistent with STARS (Sustainability Tracking Assessment and Rating System) and Climate Leadership Commitments, and that can be implemented at an institutional level. Develop annual sustainability planning priorities for the campus; identify annual expected outcomes, and coordinate appropriate evaluation and reporting of these efforts.
· Coordinate with units, departments, and bodies that have existing sustainability initiatives.
· Build relationships with campus administrative, operational, and academic units, and with student groups working in this field.
Campus Facilities & Operations
· Create a strategy to integrate sustainability principles and policies into the operational functions of the University; utilize the University's Climate Action Plan, the Sustainability Advisory Council (SAC), in-house expertise, peer institution practices, literature and conferences to develop ideas to advance West Chester University's sustainability efforts.
· Collaborate with campus units as appropriate to infuse sustainability principles into campus short- and long-range planning, building design, construction, grounds, and other operations.
· Offer expertise and collaboratively foster initiatives to reduce campus resource consumption and waste generation.
· Work with appropriate campus units to assist them in developing sustainable practices in procurement, food systems, etc.
Sustainability Program Management
· Coordinate, support, and expand opportunities for faculty, staff, students, and administrators to learn about sustainability and incorporate sustainable practices into their day-to-day work.
· Manage sustainability staff, graduate assistants, and other student employees and interns as appropriate.
· Serve as an ex-officio member of the Sustainability Advisory Council (SAC), providing technical staff support to, and receiving guidance from, the Council, and assisting the Council in implementation of SAC initiatives.
Education & Research
· Offer guidance to faculty and administrators to apply sustainability principles to education, research, and interdisciplinary projects.
· Work with faculty and academic leadership to provide input on incorporating sustainability into the curriculum; serve as a guest lecturer in sustainability-oriented courses.
· Design and coordinate educational workshops and the production of educational materials for the campus.
· Publicize, promote, and communicate West Chester University's sustainability efforts within and outside of the WCU community. Document progress towards sustainability and promote broader awareness of WCU's sustainability efforts and accomplishments. Collaborate with the campus community to shape and deliver internal campus messages about sustainability and serve as the campus spokesperson on sustainability issues with internal constituencies.
· Collaborate with the Office of Public Relations and Marketing to shape and deliver campus messages to external constituencies to promote campus sustainability efforts; serve as a campus spokesperson on sustainability issues.
· Oversee the content, design, and maintenance of the campus sustainability website and social media platforms.
Outreach and Engagement
· Build effective partnerships with local organizations to support sustainability efforts.
· Collaborate with relevant administrative units to identify and pursue opportunities for external funding for a "Green Fund" and other funding mechanisms to provide members of the campus community with funds for their sustainability proposals.
· Identify, seek, and secure grant funding, corporate partnerships, and other savings programs to leverage campus resources and further propel campus sustainability efforts.
· Identify opportunities to educate and involve alumni in sustainability initiatives.
· Represent the University at regional and national professional conferences (speaking, presenting, etc.).
· Develop and coordinate outreach events, including identifying sponsors and speakers, event planning, and logistics.
· Bachelor's degree and an advanced degree in an appropriate field (e.g., MA, MS, MD, PhD in environmental science or policy, sustainability education, planning, or related fields).
· Experience collaborating and/or working with Academic Affairs within a University setting is required.
· 5-10 years of progressive experience and leadership in the area of sustainability.
· Understanding of sustainability theories as well as local, national, and global sustainability initiatives and best practices required.
· Proven ability to develop and execute new programs within an institutional setting; understanding of how to institutionalize new sustainability efforts.
· Skill at problem solving, thinking analytically and developing sustainability programs that support the institution's strategic objectives and mission.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills, comfort with public speaking, ability to listen and learn and engender trust among various constituencies.
· Skill in application of the principles and practices of effective leadership, management and supervision;
· Excellent team building, relationship building, and networking skills essential.
Specific experience in the areas of sustainability policies, sustainable living, environmental conservation, or education in energy, climate change, or sustainable food systems is preferred.
Salary range is $52,592 - $70,122 dependent upon qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits package including tuition fee waiver for self and dependents. Applicants must successfully complete interview process to be considered as a finalist.
Candidates must apply online at http://agency.governmentjobs.c
Developing and sustaining a diverse faculty and staff advances WCU's educational mission and strategic plan, Building on Excellence. West Chester University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
All offers of employment are subject to and contingent upon satisfactory completion of all pre-employment criminal background and consumer reporting checks.
Contact: West Chester University
Online App. Form: http://agency.governmentjobs.c
West Chester University is an AA/EOE employer. Women, Minorities, and Veterans are encouraged to apply.