District Office Staff Assistant
Albany, NY - Posted on: Thursday 08/25/16
The Office of Congressman Paul D. Tonko is seeking to hire a District Office Staff Assistant to be based out of its Albany Office. This is an at-will position.
The Staff Assistant greets visitors, answers the telephone and answers constituent requests for general information, tours, and other inquiries. This position also monitors delivery and pickup of materials, maintains the front office, and assists the District Director and scheduling, outreach, special projects and casework staff with various administrative duties while maintaining an external agenda that interacts frequently with constituents.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintains a good working relationship with the Congressman, supervisors, staff and constituents;
- Accepts performance-based criticism and direction;
- Works a flexible schedule including long days, nights, and weekends;
- Answers and screens telephone calls for the Congressman and other staff members;
- Greets and screens visitors;
- Ensures that requests for assistance are directed to the appropriate staff member in a timely manner;
- Documents caller and visitor opinions, including full name, address, and all relevant information;
- Oversees intern training and performs daily supervision;
- Processes all mail sent to the Albany District Office;
- Maintains the office voicemail, delivers messages, mail, deliveries and faxes to appropriate staff, and coordinates the Albany Office mail program;
- Assists persons who have appointments with the Congressman or other staff members and works closely with the District Director to ensure that the Congressman's appointments are on time;
- Orders office supplies and maintains office equipment;
- Manages office recycling program;
- Performs basic upkeep of the office and its equipment;
- Assists District Director and Constituent Representatives in drafting and sending casework correspondence to constituents and Federal agencies;
- Assists District Scheduler in organizing invitations, confirming the Congressman’s schedule with event hosts, and identifying other scheduling opportunities;
- Assists in setting up various office outreach efforts, including by sending invitations, making phone calls and keeping lists of event attendees;
- Writes summaries of meetings taken by the Congressman and delivers them to the appropriate staff in a timely fashion;
- Assists Field Representative in processing commendation requests in a timely manner;
- Assists Director of Congressional Projects with administrative and correspondence work associated with the Congressional Arts Competition and Academy Nominations Process;
- Assists Business Liaison in publicizing Federal grant opportunities;
- Meets attendance requirements as established by the office; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION OR EQUIVALENT EXPERIENCE:
At least one year of work experience, preferably in a community facing and/or administrative/logistics position, or a bachelor’s or associate’s degree.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Excellent organizational and proofreading skills;
- Professional telephone manner;
- Ability to use and troubleshoot photocopier, facsimile machine, telephone, and other office equipment;
- Ability to perform essential job functions above;
- Temperament to communicate with a variety of personalities in a tactful, pleasant and professional manner;
- Works well under pressure and handles stress;
- Knowledge of office policies, practices, and procedures;
- Comfort with taking the initiative to offer support to fellow staff;
- Knowledge of office computer applications; and
- Proficiency in word processing.
- Mainly in an office reception area with a low level of privacy. Noise levels are usually moderate.
- Some time on evenings and weekends is expected outside the office attending events with the Congressman.
ALLOCATION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
50% Administrative assistance to casework, scheduling and outreach staff
25% Receptionist duties and intern management
15% Drafting documents and correspondence
10% Staffing events and meetings
Interested individuals should email a cover letter, résumé, and a writing sample of no less than one (1) page and no more than five (5) pages to NY20jobs@mail.house.gov<mailto:NY20jobs@mail.house.go
The deadline for submissions is Tuesday, September 6, 2016.