Event Planner/ Project Staff Assistant (R16-23)
Albany, NY - Posted on: Monday 05/23/16
About RF for SUNY at the University at Albany:
Employment is with The Research Foundation for the State University of New York, a private, nonprofit, educational corporation that provides essential sponsored program administration and innovation support services to SUNY faculty and students whose ideas and research generate ground-breaking discovery and translate to entrepreneurial and economic development opportunities for New York State.
Working at the SUNY Research Foundation for the University at Albany, you will be part of a team that provides essential services to the University as it moves to the front ranks of American higher education, supporting the advancement of education, research and discovery. The University at Albany, a nationally recognized research university with outstanding faculty, researchers and staff, offers challenging, exciting and rewarding careers to those who seek opportunities to grow and excel.
The Professional Development Program (PDP) of the University at Albany's Rockefeller College seeks a service-minded individual who is committed to performing high-quality work to fill an Event Planner/Project Staff Assistant position within PDP's Department of Temporary Assistance Training in Albany, NY.
Description of Duties: Under the direction of the Department Manager or designee, position plans and executes local, regional, and statewide in-person and on-line education and training events in support of NYS policy initiatives, including conferences, meetings, and training programs; serves as an event planning specialist and member of a professional adult education and training event planning team and a logistical/project support team; and works with project sponsors and project staff to establish clear training event goals for guiding the execution of project activities.
- Bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by a USDOE or an internationally recognized accrediting organization in Communications, Hospitality Management, Marketing, Public, Business, or Educational Administration, or related field and minimum 3 years of experience planning, coordinating, and executing conferences, meetings, and training events or educational programs.
- Excellent writing, speaking, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of event planning/coordination industry standards.
- Demonstrated proficiencies applying best practices in the event planning/coordination field to make logistical arrangements and implement programs.
- Demonstrated proficiencies assessing, interpreting, researching, and meeting event and training program needs of a complex nature.
- Demonstrated proficiencies with preparing e-mails, reports, in conformance with project objectives
- Strong problem-solving skills and organizational skills with strict attention to detail.
- Strong team and customer orientation with demonstrated commitment to excellence in customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work under pressure as well as effectively prioritize, manage, and complete multiple tasks within established deadlines and effectively work on multiple projects with competing priorities/deadlines.
- Strong computer skills and demonstrated proficiencies using Microsoft Office products, particularly Word, Access, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Applicants must address in their applications their abilities to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to work variable days and work hours and travel regularly throughout NYS to deliver and attend programs and meetings, including travel to areas that may not be served by public transportation.
- Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) credential or equivalent.
- Proficiencies using databases, Microsoft SharePoint, and e-learning technology (e.g., iLinc, GoToWebinar, WebEx).
- Additional experience with event planning and coordination.
- Experience working in an adult education and training or related environment.
- Working knowledge of the NYS social service delivery system and public welfare programs, such as Temporary Assistance, SNAP, Employment & Advancement Services, and HEAP.
Salary Range: Mid-High $40s
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the following website for the complete Annual Security Report ("Clery Report"):http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
As an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, the Research Foundation will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, national origin and veteran or disability status.
The Research Foundation for The State University of New York offers exceptional benefits such as healthcare, dental, vision, pension plans, competitive pay, generous paid time off, tuition assistance, life insurance and long-term disability insurance. The University at Albany offers a variety of performing arts, world class libraries, and competitive sporting events.
Persons interested in the above position should submit a resume, three work-related references, along with a letter of application. Applicants must also provide two writing samples of work where the applicant was the primary author, according to the following: a business e-mail or memorandum written by the applicant (of non-specific length); and a report written by the applicant (2 to 3 pages in length).
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.