- Becker Career Center
- Financial Analyst, New York State Office of the Attorney General (“OAG”), New York, NY
New York, NY - Posted: 11/23/16 | SHARE:
The Research Department in the New York State Office of the Attorney General (“OAG”) seeks candidates for a full-time Financial Analyst position. The Research Department is part of the Executive Division and works closely with senior staff to support the OAG's major initiatives, investigations, and policy development. The Financial Analyst will work closely with the Research Director, Senior Data Scientist, and Investor Protection Bureau to support the work of the OAG.
Employing over 1,700 people across New York State, the OAG is both the “People's Lawyer” and the State's chief legal officer. The OAG serves all New Yorkers in numerous legal and regulatory arenas, including vigorously protecting the rights of investors and consumers, coordinating state-wide criminal investigations, promoting economic and social justice, encouraging harm reducing public health strategies, and preserving the State’s environment. The OAG also advises the Executive branch of State government and defends actions and proceedings on behalf of the State.
Responsibilities of the Financial Analyst will include, but not be limited to:
- Providing rigorous financial, economic, and data analysis;
- Synthesizing pertinent facts and issues from large amounts of information and data;
- Routinely assessing, reporting, and monitoring trading activity;
- Analyzing financial instruments, explaining their structure, and identifying potential risks;
- Conducting investigations into possible violations of the relevant rules and regulations;
- Independently researching relevant studies, rulemakings and data; and
- Developing systems to collect and organize required financial data.
- Master's degree in finance, economics, or business or two (2) years of equivalent work experience in the financial industry;
- Strong knowledge of common investment types and sectors (e.g. equities, bonds, fixed income, mutual funds, and exchange traded funds);
- Basic knowledge of alternative investment funds and vehicles (e.g. structured finance,hedge funds, and private equity);
- Experience with mortgage and other asset-backed securities or equity market structures (exchanges, order flow, execution benchmarks) a plus;
- Advanced experience working with the Bloomberg Terminal;
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) and/or Certificate in Investment Performance Measurement (CIPM) Program a plus;
- Programming, scripting and statistical languages (SQL, Python preferred) a plus;
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation communication skills;
- Ability to communicate technical concepts and results to a non-technical audience;
- Highly organized, self-directed, and curious;
- Personable and positive, with a high level of integrity; and
- Interest in public policy and social/economic justice.
Applications are being received online. To apply, please click on this link: EXEC/RD_FA_NYC_6033; applicants will be taken to the online application page for this position.
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
- Cover Letter (You may address to Sandra Jefferson Grannum, Esq., Bureau Chief, Legal Recruitment)
- List of three (3) references with contact information and email addresses
- Writing Sample
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or you need assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment Bureau via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov