- Becker Career Center
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Engineer, Calspan Corporation, Buffalo, NY
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Engineer
Posted: 03/23/17 | SHARE:
The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Engineer will support the Aerospace Department located in Niagara Falls, NY. In addition to proficiency in geographic mapping, planning and applied computer sciences, successful candidates must demonstrate knowledge of data analysis and reduction using GIS software as well as data management skills. Familiarity with data analysis from airborne sensors such as LIDAR, IR, Video and Laser Absorption Spectroscopy is desired.
Responsibilities for GIS Engineer:
- Identify appropriate sensor technologies as required for different projects.
- Ensure integration of pertinent sensors with the airborne sensor platform.
- Prepare sensor equipment for data gathering flights.
- Coordinate flight routes of airborne sensor platforms with flight crews.
- Extract data from airborne sensor platform.
- Establish and implement data processing practices.
- Continuously learn and apply new skills and tools throughout the life cycle of a project.
- Gather requirements, determine customer needs, communicate solutions, establish workflows and data management techniques to increase efficiencies, and maintain the quality of deliverables.
- Process and reduce data as applicable, professionally communicate findings and deliver reports of varying scope to customers, maximize process automation.
- Assure quality of gathered data and product delivered.
Preferred Education / Experience for GIS Engineer:
- Bachelor of Science in relevant field (e.g. electrical, computer/software engineering) required, MS desired, MS GIS highly desired
- Experience in using multiple environmental sensor technologies desired
- 5 years of experience with GIS application software desired or;
- A combination of education and experience equivalent to above
Preferred Knowledge / Ability for GIS Engineer:
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office products
- Proficiency in GIS software
- Strong data mining and data management skills
- Experience in evaluating geospatial and ancillary data quality, and in developing and implementing QA/QC procedures
- Experience assessing and processing terrain data
- Online map publishing experience
- Process automation capability
- Experience in mobile ground-based or airborne data collection
- Understanding of computer programming languages and principles required
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills with the ability to convey GIS/spatial information/processes to non-GIS/technical customers
- Ability to work independently and as a member of team required