Albany, NY - Posted: 12/20/16 | SHARE:
About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany's broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of more than 17,300 students in eight schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State's capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
The University at Albany's Office of Communications and Marketing (OCM) is seeking an experienced graphic designer to design and produce high-quality visual communications.
The graphic designer will work independently and with colleagues to foster creative collaboration as well as to ensure compliance with project understanding, goals and adherence to brand identity.
Duties associated with this position include:
- Designing and producing visual communication from initial concept to completion using a variety of mediums, including print, digital and multi-media
- Creating data visualization and information graphics
- Creating innovative designs using elements such as typography, photography, illustrations, graphics and white space
- Attending and providing creative direction for photo shoots
- Initiating and maintaining solid relationships with external vendors; this will include writing and compiling work estimates.
- Maintaining technical knowledge by attending design workshops; reviewing professional publications; participating in professional societies
- Maintaining organized digital files within a shared network and project management system
- Uphold the University brand attributes, identity, guidelines and policies; ability to guide others on brand guidelines
To accomplish the above tasks, it is necessary for the graphic designer to:
- Develop a deep understanding of the University's communication goals, strategies, and brand attributes/guidelines
- Build relationships and regularly interact with various University community members on all three campuses, including faculty, staff and students
- Work in partnership with the directors and staff inside OCM to bring projects to successful completion on time, within budget and to the expectations of the client and brand
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design or a related field from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized organization
- 3-5 years experience in graphic design
- A portfolio of work demonstrating ability in brand development and identity building
- Proficiency with InDesign CC, Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC and Bridge
- Knowledge of Mac platform, OS X and Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent understanding of typography, layout and production
- Experience with print design and print production processes
- Experience with web design and web development processes (including responsive design and app design)
- Experience with digital design and digital production processes (graphics for video, PowerPoint, digital signage and social media)
- Knowledge of social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube and LinkedIn
- Experience meeting multiple, dynamic deadlines
- Success in planning and managing complex projects
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population
- Experience in working in this capacity for a large organization
- Experience in higher education
Professional Rank and Salary Range: SL-3, Senior Staff Assistant
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University's crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University's current campus security policies. The University at Albany's Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via http://albany.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=79021
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications and any of the applicable preferred qualifications
- Three references
- Candidates will also need to provide a portfolio to demonstrate proficiency in brand development and identity building.
Note: After submitting your resume, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Login to your U-Albany Careers Account to check your completed application.
Closing date for receipt of applications: January 18, 2017