Network Systems Engineer
Albany, NY - Posted: 10/03/16 | SHARE:
STARTING SALARY RANGE: CL 27, $47,448 - $59,318 (depending on qualifications)
PROMOTION POTENTIAL: CL 28, Up to $92,450
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
This position is located in Albany, New York and supports the U.S. District Court and U.S. Probation Office in the Northern District of New York. The incumbent coordinates and oversees the court unit’s information technology networks and systems. The incumbent performs both routine and complex network administration and systems duties, including developing standards, recommending network and/or systems infrastructure changes, and coordinating and implementing network security measures. The Network Systems Engineer is responsible for high-level and long-term design and analysis of the court unit’s network systems. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Analyze needs, coordinate, and configure computer network systems to increase compatibility and share information. Determine computer software or hardware needed to set up or alter systems. Train other technicians to work with computer systems and programs. Diagnose hardware and custom off-the-shelf software problems, and replace defective components. Maintain and administer computer networks and related computing environments, including computer hardware, systems software, and all configurations. Recommend changes to improve systems and configurations, as well as determine hardware or software requirements related to such changes.
• Analyze develop, and implement short-term and long-range automation improvement plans for the court, ensuring that the changes can be implemented with minimal disruption at the court site. Plan for disaster recovery operations and testing, including network performance, security, anti-virus, intrusion, web usage/monitoring, design, and acquisition of servers. Produce usefulsystemdocumentation, and perform system startup and shutdown procedures, and maintain control records. Monitor and perform data backups.
• Monitor network infrastructure and components, including all servers and workstations, and implement improvements to performance and security. Design, modify, enhance, test, and implement standard configurations for deployment of workstations, servers, and network components and client software.
• Recommend, schedule, test, and validate deployment of patches, security updates, and other upgrades to servers, workstations, and network components. Monitor provider websites to ensure patches are tested and applied in a timely fashion.
• Evaluate , recommend, and implement processes to improve efficiencies and performance of the networks through the development or purchase of products to automate and monitor routine tasks such as server and workstation maintenance activities, performance monitoring and reporting, installation of software or firmware upgrades, patches, etc.
• Recommend, schedule, plan, and supervise the installation and testing of new products and improvements to computer systems. Plan, coordinate, implement and test network security measures in order to protect data, software, and hardware. Identify and assess risks by performing security analysis and assist in producing detailed security plans.
• Develop and implement standard procedures to guide the use and acquisition of software and to protect vulnerable information, data, and documents.
• Provide on-site network support for divisional offices and remote hearing locations.
• Supervise on-site vendors. Participate in district-wide network projects. Prepare and propose automation funding needs for fiscal budget.
• Lead project teams in managing information technology projects and implementing and integrating systems with other networks.
• Perform other related duties or special projects as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in computer science, information systems, or a related field or a minimum of two years of network administration experience is required. Solid organizational skills and proven analytical, planning and problem solving skills. Excellent communication skills and the ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Five years of network administration experience. Knowledge of and experience with court operations. Cisco Certification (CCNA).
• A minimum of 10 paid holidays per year
• Paid vacation leave
• Paid sick leave
• Retirement benefits
• Optional participation in the Thrift Savings Plan
• Optional participation in the Federal Employees’ Health Benefits Program
• Optional participation in the Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance Program
• Optional participation in the Federal Dental and Vision Plans
• Optional participation in the Flexible Spending Program
• Optional participation in the Long-Term Care Insurance Plan
• Optional participation in private Long-Term Disability Plan
• Credit for prior government service
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Applicants must be United States citizens or eligible to work in the United States. The individual being selected for this position will be required to submit to a security background check which includes fingerprinting. All appointments are provisional upon a favorable suitability determination. Employees are required to adhere to the Code of Conduct for Judicial Employees, which is available to applicants upon request. Employees of the United States District Court are Excepted Service Appointments. Appointments are “at will” and can be terminated with or without cause by the Court. This position is subject to mandatory Electronic Funds Transfer participation for payroll deposit.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Applicants interested in being considered for this position are asked to submit a letter of interest and resume via fax at 315-234-8549, email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: United States District Court Att: Human Resources P.O. Box 7367 Syracuse, New York 13261 Please note that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. The U.S. District Court has the right to modify the conditions of this job announcement, withdraw the announcement or fill the position(s) at any time, any of which may occur without prior written notice. This Court is an Equal Opportunity Employer.