Northeast Program Coordinator
Posted: 04/13/17 | SHARE:
Northeast Program Coordinator
Summary The Mattress Recycling Council (MRC) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as an in-state staff member to assist in the on-going implementation of statewide mattress recycling programs in Connecticut and Rhode Island. This position will perform varied tasks required to maintain successful mattress recycling programs.
About the MRC Formed by the International Sleep Products Association (ISPA) in 2013, MRC is a non-profit organization that develops and implements mattress recycling programs in states with legislation mandating mattress recycling, including Connecticut, Rhode Island, and California. These programs are funded by a fee collected on the sale of each mattress within the state. MRC’s objectives are aligned with these laws: to promote and encourage the proper recycling of mattresses at end of life.
Scope of Work In 2013, Connecticut, Rhode Island and California enacted mattress recycling laws creating the statutory framework to fund the collection, transportation and recycling of discarded mattresses. Connecticut was the first state to implement in May of 2015. California began December 30, 2015 and Rhode Island launched May 1, 2016. The scope of this position would be limited to work in Connecticut and Rhode Island, however additional states may adopt similar legislation in the future. Important information about these programs is included in the laws:
MRC has designed the Connecticut and Rhode Island mattress recycling programs to meet the requirements of the law, regulations and program plan. To fund the program, retailers collect a per unit fee from the sale of each mattress, and then remit that fee to MRC. MRC uses collected fees to pay for transportation, recycling, consumer education and program administrative costs.
Preferred Skills & Qualifications
- Candidates will be required to work from a home office. The ideal location for this position is in Connecticut or Rhode Island
- Experience with and/or knowledge of municipal solid waste and recycling systems, laws and regulations
- Experience with the contracting process and commercial insurance
- Experience/familiarity working with governmental agencies, non-profit organizations, recyclers and business professionals
- Experience with and/or knowledge of retail operations, transportation logistics and communications
- Experience with and/or intimate knowledge of municipal recycling programs or product stewardship laws, familiarity with mattress products
Mandatory Skills & Qualifications
- Candidate must have a suitable home office with strong internet connection and cell phone connectivity.
- A quiet work environment is required for taking phone calls. Employee will work independently and must have excellent time management skills
- Employee must provide vehicle appropriate for professional meetings, have a valid driver’s license, and carry current motor vehicle liability insurance including $500,000 liability insurance
- Travel is required. Travel time will vary, may exceed 50% of the time, and may include overnight and weekend travel. Extensive travel throughout the region will be required to visit solid waste facilities, recyclers, retailers and other entities involved in the program.
- Strong public speaking, training, and presentation experience.
- B.S. from accredited four year college/university
- Fluent with computers and Microsoft office suite
Compensation This is a full-time salaried telework position; salary commensurate with experience. MRC provides an extensive benefit package.